Is there any hope?

Facts, rumors, speculations about the past, present and future of FingerWorks.

Moderator: The00Dustin

Is there any hope?

Postby Max » 23 May 2005, 08:48

My touchstream LP died this morning. The left hand side of the keyboard has stopped working. Although annoyed I thought, not to worry I'll contact fingerworks and get it repaired, or if the worst comes to the worst, I'll buy a nice new silver one. Then I discovered that Fingerworks may have been bought out and I might not be able to buy a replacement. What a shock!

I rely on my keyboard (DVORAK) and use it at work all day. I originally bought it to reduce what I feared were RSI symptoms. I am now faster on my Fingerworks than a normal keyboard. What can I do? Is there any hope? I really don't want to go back to a normal keyboard anymore.

Oops, this might be in the wrong forum. Apologies if it is.

Regards,

Max
Max
Regular

Postby Max » 23 May 2005, 10:40

A quick update. I went to the main forum and researched about the ribbon cable problems. I found that there is info on how to replace the ribbon cable posted there (part HF26U-XX (XX=03 for 3 inch cable) - from
www.digikey.com). So I have just placed an order (for a few spare too). Bit expensive from the UK, but certainly cheaper than getting the touchstream repaired or buying a new one - if one could even be found.

Since my keyboard was dead anyway, I poked and proded at the cable to see how it connects and fiinally plucked up the courage to pull on it. If you tug on it hard enough it will come free of the socket and also come out from the slot in the keyboard. As I suspected the cable had split. Hopefully the replacement will work. NB it looks very difficult to feed the cable back into the plastic slot - although it should go in the socket ok. I'll just have to find another method of securing it.

Cheers,

Max
Max
Regular

Postby notmatt » 23 May 2005, 14:57

If you live in the UK you can get a new touchstream from http://www.meltones-media.co.uk/index.html, they've still got some in stock
notmatt
Familiar

Postby Max » 23 May 2005, 15:41

notmatt wrote:If you live in the UK you can get a new touchstream from http://www.meltones-media.co.uk/index.html, they've still got some in stock

Thanks for the info. However, I rang them earlier today and was informed they no longer had any in stock (although I did not speak to the person who runs the business).
Max
Regular

Postby notmatt » 24 May 2005, 10:42

Ah. when i bought mine from them he did say that he still had a few in stock. My mistake, sorry.
notmatt
Familiar

Re: Is there any hope?

Postby Max » 25 May 2005, 17:38

Max wrote:My touchstream LP died this morning. The left hand side of the keyboard has stopped working. Although annoyed I thought, not to worry I'll contact fingerworks and get it repaired, or if the worst comes to the worst, I'll buy a nice new silver one. Then I discovered that Fingerworks may have been bought out and I might not be able to buy a replacement. What a shock!

I rely on my keyboard (DVORAK) and use it at work all day. I originally bought it to reduce what I feared were RSI symptoms. I am now faster on my Fingerworks than a normal keyboard. What can I do? Is there any hope? I really don't want to go back to a normal keyboard anymore.

Oops, this might be in the wrong forum. Apologies if it is.

Regards,

Max

Got my new ribbon cables today from the States and reinserted the replacement. I am now back in action! Boy does it feel so much better!

Max
Max
Regular

Return to News about FingerWorks