Buying remaining devices from University of Delaware?

Facts, rumors, speculations about the past, present and future of FingerWorks.

Moderator: The00Dustin

Buying remaining devices from University of Delaware?

Postby TorbenGB » 30 Jan 2013, 09:08

I've received a message from the University of Delaware with an offer to buy the FingerWorks devices that were left over in Elias' and Westerman's old lab spaces. It's a very interesting offer and I will post details later -- but I wanted to get the word out to get your attention.

UPDATE: Here is the full mail I received from the University of Delaware:

I work at the University of Delaware, in the department where John Elias and Wayne Westerman first created Fingerworks. We've been clearing out lab space and I was put in charge of selling the Fingerworks devices that were leftover. I was told to find a community that enjoys this technology and post an ad for them. Your site appears to be the best one out there for this, but I can't seem to register anywhere.

The devices I'm getting rid of are as follows:
  • 13 Fingerworks Touchstream keyboards, the solid kind. Many of them don't have the rest-pads, and only 2 are recognized when plugged into my laptop. The others could be cannibalized for parts. Some have diagnostics taped to them to help with figuring out what can be used.
  • 2 of the collapsible keyboards, neither of which is recognized by my laptop, with one that has diagnostic data.
  • 1 Fingerworks Mini (to be used for parts)
  • 1 iGesture (not working)
  • 4 Retro Keyboard by Fingerworks green boards/ various stages of production
I'd be willing to sell all of this for $200, plus shipping. Keyboards in good condition go for about $300 to $400 on ebay right now. This is a lot of product for less. I'm sure your community would have some use for them.

Michelle Pettinella
CVORG Research Group
Electrical & Computer Engineering
University of Delaware
mep (insert mail character here) udel.edu

The community hasn't made a decision to buy this lot yet, and I'm growing afraid that the parts might be thrown away if we don't move soon. Michelle sent me these photos today -- see attached ZIP file:

These are pictures of the Fingerworks equipment we have in the lab. We have multiples of the solid keyboards. The pictures taken are the ones that are recognized when plugged in. There are also stacks of some of the unsoldered boards, like the Retro.

Also included is the original demo of the touch-wheel that Elias and Westerman made personally and used to pitch their idea to Apple. Please let me know if there is any other information I can provide!
Attachments
Fingerworks.zip
(3.19 MiB) Downloaded 95 times
TorbenGB - webmaster & forum admin
TorbenGB
Site Admin

Re: Buying remaining devices from University of Delaware?

Postby ivanw » 30 Jan 2013, 13:36

Thanks Torben,

I hope some of those unlucky members with a dead device will have an opportunity to get a live one.
ivanw
Zealot

Postby ken gray » 30 Jan 2013, 14:38

WHOA!!!!!
. . :shock:
A blog on coding and automation.
<a href='http://www.themacrohook.blogspot.com'>The Macro Hook</a>
ken gray
Site Admin

Postby petercooperjr » 01 Feb 2013, 18:02

That is pretty neat. I've noticed that the eBay prices have been dropping quite a bit from their peak. I had somewhat been wondering if there's just a lot less demand or whether more devices had been showing up in places or what. Perhaps both. I'd love to see these details.
petercooperjr
Familiar

Postby nomaded » 04 Feb 2013, 22:51

My guess is that the number of still working devices are going down at a steady rate. Also, the number of people willing to spend the amount of time to figure out how to get one of the devices to work (assuming they're in good condition) is going down - every day the percentage of computers that can run the Multitouch Utilities is going down.
@nomaded

TouchStream Mini - February 26, 2002 - Sold
TouchStream Stealth - March 18, 2002 - Windows 7 Ultimate (home)
TouchStream MacNTouch (white) - July 23, 2003 - Retired
TouchStream LP - March 31, 2004 - In storage
TouchStream MacNTouch (silver) - December 1, 2004 - In storage
Stenovations Digitouch (dvorak) - 2007 - Windows 7 Ultimate (work)
Stenovations Digitouch (dvorak) - 2007 - In storage
nomaded
Smarty Pants

Postby drew » 13 Feb 2013, 19:56

very cool it would be interesting to see if there is repair or assembly equipment there too!
drew
Regular

Postby TorbenGB » 19 Feb 2013, 12:55

I've added an update to my initial post -- see above!
Full email and photos included.

I hope we can find a solution for the community to benefit from this offer, but I don't know how much time we still have.
TorbenGB
Site Admin

Postby ebenhaber » 23 Feb 2013, 05:38

I will go ahead and buy them if no one else can organize it. Shall I contact them? Once I get the stuff, I can figure out how to fairly distribute it...

Regards,

-Eben Haber
ebenhaber
Hang-around

Postby TorbenGB » 23 Feb 2013, 07:24

Thank you Eben, but Minox beat you to it :-) I did not decide this; he was simply first.

Like you, he offered to accept the lot and salvage as much as possible, as well as taking care of the remains for the future. He's also got the skills and equipment to do repairs, so I am sure that it will be good for the community.

I will let him handle the "what&how" details himself. After all, I'm "just" the webmaster -- I'm not "in charge" of our community.
TorbenGB
Site Admin

Postby Meesters » 21 Jun 2013, 08:40

Wow, I just have taken a look at the pictures it shows quite a few things I do not regocnize. This looks very interesting. And what are these collapsible keyboards being mentioned?
Meesters
Regular

Postby TorbenGB » 15 Nov 2013, 15:12

Hello Minox, I'm just curious what the current situation is. Have you had a chance to evaluate the equipment?
TorbenGB - webmaster & forum admin
TorbenGB
Site Admin

Return to News about FingerWorks