A new Apple Patent based on capacitance

Facts, rumors, speculations about the past, present and future of FingerWorks.

Moderator: The00Dustin

A new Apple Patent based on capacitance

Postby RAFH » 23 Oct 2006, 19:38

Check out the new Apple patent employing an FW like feature.

http://www.newscientisttech.com/article ... n-gun.html
about half-way down the page. Uses the capacitance of the user to 'arm' the touch screen for use. Pretty neat effect, might say classical Apple.
Invent the Future
RAFH
Enthusiast

Postby ivanw » 23 Oct 2006, 21:15

Do you really think Apple hired Westerman and Elias to tinker about with such a great achievement ?
If Mulitouch technology has been hijacked, we can see it was for a mighty cause, Apple willing to help people play with their finger.
ivanw
Zealot

Postby RAFH » 24 Oct 2006, 21:19

Well, its not been just this, there's the huge leaps in the iPod controls, not to mention the new little touchscreens on the notebboks. I mean, it all adds up, slowly but surely.

Not that I've seen in everything suggested so far as much as they could have had by just selling the Mac-N-Touch boards, as they were, no changes. Not even a small fraction.

It continues to be an enigma to me. I simply don't get it. An award winning product, just on the cusp of 'happening', suddenly goes tits up and the principals scurry off to Apple and, essentially, do nothing.

FW had to cost something, if nothing else they had to buy the university out, and I assume the boys aren't working for free.

Maybe they are deep into something that will blow our socks off, but I haven't seen hide nor hair of it, not even a whiff of a scent. Just little baubles like this, basically minor magic tricks.
Invent the Future
RAFH
Enthusiast

Postby ken gray » 26 Oct 2006, 20:01

well i think this is it....sounds like they've takes the BMW engineering and put it into a civic..

http://hrmpf.com/wordpress/90/apple-des ... e-for-ipod
ken gray
Site Admin

Postby RAFH » 26 Oct 2006, 21:07

Actually Ken, I don't think that's a very apt description, Honda has always been a very tech savvy company, more like a , well, I don't really know these days all cars are pretty amazing. I guess a generic Ford or Chevy.

It really is quite something how they are using the touch technology, amazing even, but its for controlling a portable entertainment device, selecting a music track and how it will play. That's akin to using a mainframe as a basic calculator. Sure, its whiz bang and very cool and all that, but its just a bloody 'walkman'. A very fancy and impressive walkman but still a walkman.

It sort of reminds me of the fabulous LED and then LCD watches that came out in the 70s and early 80s. Oooh they were so thin and they could do all sorts of cool stuff, stop watches, split watches, count down timers, alarms, dual time zones, multi time zones, etc. But in the end, they told time. Cracking walnuts with a wireless computer controlled automatic 2 ton hydraulic device powered by solar recharged fuel cells with interactive video/8.1 audio and remote is still cracking walnuts. I guess it might be the bee's knees to a professional walnut cracker. Its just all so very "Sharper Image".

I would hope it could be so very much more. I've always said the touch tech was snazzy, no questions about it, but its the gesturing that is the real gem, especially with the programmability.

Maybe such uses as this uberPod will provide the funding and show the applicability of the touch tech, but you know, touch control is really old hat, I remember seeing demos of it back in 1980 as a CAD tablet interface. True, that wasn't capacitive based, they used ultrasonics tucked into a relatively thick bezel to read the x and y of your finger. Like I said, the touch control is just means.

Don't get me wrong, I love tech, even just for tech's sake. But the parlor tricks only get me through the boring after dinner company.

Computers can be an extension of the human intellect and they can be great entertainment devices, the TS was an example of the former, this uberPod is an example of the latter. As an extension of our intellect, they help us grow and evolve, become more than we were; as the latter they become distractions from the real work. We all need the distractions, all work and no play makes Jack a dull and listless boy, but at the same time, all play and no work make Jack a dull and useless boy. Unfortunately, I see way too much priority on the play to the exclusion of the work.
Invent the Future
RAFH
Enthusiast

Postby ivanw » 27 Oct 2006, 01:53

This ends up once again with the recurring conclusion about how we fail to realize we should spend our lifetime seeking for something WE believe worth it, not what our so-called evolved consumer collectivity throws at us. We have to fight in order to avoid being attracted by the shiny surface of things, aimed at draining most of our resources towards the everlasting drug dealers stamping downstream of cash flow...

As in anything money can buy may be turned into something as close as an addictive drug as possible... We all are addicted to life alright, but we should not waste the only one we have so far bowing under mundane bragging.

Look at those must-have iPods, you should not resist, it's not good for your health, if you do, you'll accumulate bad stress and get ill. Not a good citizen attitude, you will be marginalize if you go on with this kind of claim. You have been warned...

Now, you can see how the TouchStream did not fit into this world. This thing is less an illustration of a modern keyboard than it is a good one for what a modern mistake can be.
ivanw
Zealot

Postby RAFH » 27 Oct 2006, 20:39

I think I may believe I might agree with that statement.
Invent the Future
RAFH
Enthusiast

Postby Kyrstellaine » 09 Jan 2007, 23:15

Apparently they're using this in the iPhone: http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/09/the-apple-iphone
Kyrstellaine
Hang-around

Postby ivanw » 10 Jan 2007, 12:57

RAFH wrote:I think I may believe I might agree with that statement.
Ok, now I might too! Rereading my post much later shows constipation was in the way. I might have felt relieved after that burst ;)

And now, iPhone touch technology could get us back in a good mood...
ivanw
Zealot

Postby ken gray » 10 Jan 2007, 15:30

has anyone thought what it would be like to make a couple of smallish video screens (lets say about 5"x6.5") and link them together wirelessly and project a...oh, i don't know....maybe just off the top of my head...A KEYBOARD! on it?

remember when we were all talking about that way back when? heck you dont even have to make it a screen just a clear plastic lid that you can put templates underneath; you could have a designing program print out your custom button mappings and all.
ken gray
Site Admin

Return to News about FingerWorks