Petitioning Apple?

Facts, rumors, speculations about the past, present and future of FingerWorks.

Moderator: The00Dustin

Petitioning Apple?

Postby Cerin » 14 Sep 2006, 19:06

I know there's been a lot of speculation and investigation regarding Apple's acquisition of Fingerworks, but has anyone actually emailed Apple, either to confirm this or petition them to resume manufacturing of Touchstreams? It's a long shot, but it couldn't hurt.
Cerin
Familiar

Postby goldfish » 15 Sep 2006, 00:48

It seems Apple will never confirm or deny the acquisition.
Apple also forced Synaptics to take its logo off its circuit boards and forbade it to discuss the relationship in public or with other customers--a restriction that remains in effect even today [the original request was around 1994 when they first got the Apple business, and is still in effect as of late 2005, well after Synaptics lost almost all of the iPod/trackpad business to Apple/Fingerworks/Cypress--GF].

It would be cool to show that there is demand for Fingerworks-type products. I'm surprised to see how many people are still around these parts--I wonder how many sigs we'd get.
goldfish
Familiar

Petition the Apple with Prayer

Postby RAFH » 15 Sep 2006, 19:55

I will personally guarantee at least 5000 signatures. If the doctors say my hand is still OK after that, maybe more.

Maybe someone can come up with a signature generator to help out. I am assuming the need is for different looking signatures, otherwise I could just crank up the copier and go for it. Or let 'array' in Autocad go crazy.
Invent the Future
RAFH
Enthusiast

Postby -jeffB » 18 Sep 2006, 13:09

For that matter, I wonder how many units FingerWorks actually shipped during their life as a company. More than a thousand? Probably, especially if you count iGesture pads. More than ten thousand? I'm not so sure.
-jeffB (Jeff Brandenburg, Durham, NC, USA)
-jeffB
Regular

Postby TorbenGB » 18 Sep 2006, 14:13

Yeah Jeff, my guess would also be round about 5000 units all told. Less would be a non-profitable business (and they did seem profitable even without any buy-out speculation), and more would mean ... more users than seem likely, as far as we have heard. So your guess is probably pretty good.
TorbenGB
Site Admin

Postby RAFH » 19 Sep 2006, 10:40

I am not so sure about FW being profitable. I believe that was once reason they sold out. If they had been profitable I think they would have stayed in business. Apple is probably OK, maybe even quite good but being your own boss in what you have created is priceless.

I may be reading the boys wrong, but they don't exactly seem like conformists.
Invent the Future
RAFH
Enthusiast

Return to News about FingerWorks