New Kickstarter project that looks promising

Facts, rumors, speculations about the past, present and future of FingerWorks.

Moderator: The00Dustin

New Kickstarter project that looks promising

Postby isaacs » 28 Nov 2011, 18:44

This looks pretty good. I am not sure how well it will do with gestures but they are claiming multitouch. Might be worth supporting.
Isaac.S
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/111 ... -and-mouse
isaacs
Regular

Re: New Kickstarter project that looks promising

Postby TorbenGB » 29 Nov 2011, 20:59

Yep, I saw that too. There's no real reason why gestures wouldn't be a possibility. The hardware seems perfectly capable, so it's just a matter of making the software smart enough. Once that happens, we might have backup solutions for our precious yet aging devices.
TorbenGB - webmaster & forum admin
TorbenGB
Site Admin

Postby tyson » 01 Dec 2011, 22:23

Jason Giddings, president of Giddings Product Development (the company putting on the Kickstarter Project) has stated that "We are definitely looking to the fingerworks design for inspiration!" in reference to gestural input methods for their keyboard.

The currently unnamed product is also to come with a fully open-sourced firmware and software to control the device, which means that even if they miss a few pieces of functionality that we would like to fully duplicate our existing workflows, we can add them.

Considering this, it looks as though we may actually have a TouchStream Refresh within the next 4 months, assuming that Jason Giddings & Company meet their deadlines.
tyson

Postby The00Dustin » 03 Dec 2011, 12:48

That all sounds great, but the renderings make the thing look like the antithesis of ergonomic. They said they're going to slap a wrist pad on it, but a wrist pad doesn't magically make something ergonomic. It looks to me like it would just hurt to use, not to mention that it has the standard staggered layout with no gap that would make the lack of tactile feedback an even bigger problem. I also don't see why they would want a separate mouse if they were inspired by FingerWorks.
The00Dustin
Grizzled Veteran

Postby TorbenGB » 03 Dec 2011, 13:59

Standard staggered layout is plain stupid. They need to fix that! It's just the printed surface anyway, the software would be suitably programmable any which way.

Offering a separate mouse is like FW offering an iGesture pad but also offering the TLSP. I seem to remember reading that there would be a sort of NumLock key that toggled the numpad into a mousing area. They should one-up that idea though and implement FW's cool two-finger mousing. I love that: Middle and ring finger for mousing, index and pinky for clicking. Thumb is the wheel button.

I wonder if their IR camera approach will allow them to recognize what finger was used, similar to the precision of the FW devices that can tell a single pinky apart from a single thumb, just by the shape of the contact area, even if no other fingers are touching.

Regardless of these details, I think that keyboard is set to become a viable FW replacement. With luck, future versions would be much flatter and hence have better ergonomics. The front height looks painful!
TorbenGB - webmaster & forum admin
TorbenGB
Site Admin

Postby fubar » 09 Jan 2012, 01:19

I'd be surprised if the software were anything close to as good as the fingerworks, but we'll see. When's it due out?

The technology (FTIR) is probably a good choice I think, since it gives it a mass market appeal through the interesting transparent look. Nice-looking design, if I'm any judge of popular taste (I'm not).

It is indeed a shame that it's not split. I guess any product that hopes to sell more than in tiny quantities in the keyboard market has to cater to hunt-and-peck typists and self-taught pseudo-touchtypists who think -- perhaps correctly -- that they can't easily adapt to split keyboards.
fubar
Familiar

Return to News about FingerWorks