[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
fingerfans.dreamhosters.com • View topic - Application of FW technology at Apple?

Application of FW technology at Apple?

Facts, rumors, speculations about the past, present and future of FingerWorks.

Moderator: The00Dustin

Application of FW technology at Apple?

Postby mboeing » 02 Feb 2006, 16:29

United States Patent Application 20060026536

Methods and systems for processing touch inputs are disclosed. The invention in one respect includes reading data from a multipoint sensing device such as a multipoint touch screen where the data pertains to touch input with respect to the multipoint sensing device, and identifying at least one multipoint gesture based on the data from the multipoint sensing device.

(Note: post edited by TorbenGB to shorten the display of the "URL".)
mboeing
Hang-around

Postby LiquidAg » 03 Feb 2006, 02:08

Is this something that you're talking about, with pics of them using it for tablet-type computers?

http://hrmpf.com/wordpress/48/new-apple-patents/
LiquidAg

Postby goldfish » 03 Feb 2006, 07:35

goldfish
Familiar

Postby mboeing » 03 Feb 2006, 10:40

mboeing
Hang-around

Postby ken gray » 03 Feb 2006, 14:47

ken gray
Site Admin

Postby ivanw » 03 Feb 2006, 16:05

ivanw
Zealot

Postby Rqyteqto » 04 Feb 2006, 21:40

Those aren't alien hands, just look at the frog below for where those hands came from. Aliens indeed, that's just a distraction fobbed on us by the Frog People who will soon take over the Earth and punish us for our wholesale poisoning of their many cousins.

Ribbit!
Invent the Future
Rqyteqto
Grizzled Veteran

Postby goldfish » 05 Feb 2006, 21:12

Aliens. Frogs. I think you guys are missing the boat on this one. Clearly Apple, not content to superficially improve on FW's products for us RSI sufferers, is developing animatronic replacement arms in conjunction with said products. Why do you think Steve Jobs just became the largest shareholder in Disney? It was to gain access to the Disney animatronic technology patents, for use in these new arms. With our new Apple brand animatronic replacement arms and our tablet keypads optimized for these arms, our RSI will be a thing of the past.

(Apologies to Mr. Jobs for revealing his secret animatronic arm plans).
goldfish
Familiar

Postby Rqyteqto » 06 Feb 2006, 20:11

Does this would mean we would have to buy various arm movements and gestures on I-tunes?

Man, what an opportunity, I've applied for copyright and patent on certain arm and hand movements and gestures relating to manipulations of various parts of the anatomy, I'll make a zillion for sure.
Invent the Future
Rqyteqto
Grizzled Veteran

Postby ivanw » 06 Feb 2006, 23:23

Wanna Pee? Image 5¢ for me
ivanw
Zealot

OTP

Postby aegis » 07 Feb 2006, 09:33

Strangely, this reminded me of <a href=http://www.philipkdick.com/works_novels_ubik.html>Ubik</a>

Daniel.
aegis
Regular

Postby kablooie » 08 Feb 2006, 17:23

Apple's biggest challenge...

Finding an artist that can draw hands.

Why don't they go raid Pixar or something?
kablooie
Familiar

Postby mboeing » 09 Feb 2006, 12:13

Found this on today:

Multi-Touch Interaction Research
Bi-manual, multi-point, and multi-user interactions on a graphical interaction surface.

/Markus.
mboeing
Hang-around

Postby ivanw » 09 Feb 2006, 13:38

ivanw
Zealot

Postby Rqyteqto » 09 Feb 2006, 16:50

Invent the Future
Rqyteqto
Grizzled Veteran

Fingerworks and laptop screens

Postby jsavidge » 15 Feb 2006, 05:09

jsavidge
Hang-around

Re: Fingerworks and laptop screens

Postby goldfish » 15 Feb 2006, 07:08

goldfish
Familiar

Re: Fingerworks and laptop screens

Postby ivanw » 15 Feb 2006, 11:29

ivanw
Zealot

Postby thenn » 07 Apr 2006, 19:54

thenn
Smarty Pants

Postby Rqyteqto » 08 Apr 2006, 20:33

Invent the Future
Rqyteqto
Grizzled Veteran

Postby ivanw » 08 Apr 2006, 22:05

I fail to see something any close to FingerWorks technology in this :!:

I say that because I did take the time to read Wayne Westerman's about the FingerWorks MultiTouch technology. It is something I could understand after some re-reading of the most technical parts. This patent, I have a hard time to read more than five words before I absolutely need to close my browser...

I say it is full fledged gibberish with some childish nonsense illustrations with an official patent number near the Apple trademark put there for a whole bunch a lawyers ready to dissuade anyone who could ever think about doing something like this. And the less this has a meaning, the better... And this is a real achievement, I tell you that this will become a master peace among the most silly patent ever.

After all, maybe Wayne and John are just cleaning the floor in there. Maybe they were told something like: We give you money and in return we want you on another planet...

If Wayne got his degree of Doctor of Philosophy with his multitouch tech, I wonder what he would have got instead with something like this patent... In a zoo, he would have collected a few peanuts, at best. And if only one thing is for sure, we would not have our 1000$ TS on our desk. :cry:

I already know that I won’t have anything related to this patent soon. It looks like they have a few decades of home work before them. I can wait for a while but I rather think I'll have time to die and resurrect several times before then.

:twisted: Come on Steve, you can do better.
ivanw
Zealot

Postby Rqyteqto » 09 Apr 2006, 19:08

Do better? Well of course he could, he's got the boys, he's got the FW patents and presumably he's got all the remaining FW stock plus whatever got sent in for refund in lieu of repair. He could have been producing MacinMultitouchStream products as early as last June, all they had to do was build the assembly line, maybe do some upgrades to the hard and software and adjust the logos and start shipping.

My opinion is Apple just can't have something cool they didn't invent and so they are waiting a while for memory of Fingerworks to fade away (of course this forum is a mote in the cogworks of that strategy) and slowly introduce bits and pieces of the tech to ease the concept in.

Give it a year or so and suddenly Apple will intro AppleTouch, maybe in sync with a major scifi movie that uses it. They do have Disney Studios at their beck and call.

I agree this 'patent' appears to be a sham, though it does introduce the notion of multiple touch screens/pads.

Have to hand it to Jobs though, from near obscurity 10 years ago to becoming one of the biggest forces in the entertainment industry. He has an amazing ability of getting others to pull him into deals which result in his being top dog. If in 1997 you told someone that in 10 years Steve Jobs would not only be back at the top of Apple that was wildly more successful than ever before despite switching to Intel processors but also the head of Disney and thus ABC as well they would have locked you up, stuffed you full of thorozine and lithium and thrown away the key.
Invent the Future
Rqyteqto
Grizzled Veteran

Postby ivanw » 21 Jul 2006, 13:31

:roll: Apple's latest iPod touch-screen...

ivanw
Zealot

Re: Fingerworks and laptop (iPhone?) screens

Postby jsavidge » 16 Jan 2007, 02:02

jsavidge
Hang-around

Re: Fingerworks and laptop (iPhone?) screens

Postby jsavidge » 16 Jan 2007, 02:06

jsavidge
Hang-around

Next

Return to News about FingerWorks