Anyone thought of this?

Facts, rumors, speculations about the past, present and future of FingerWorks.

Moderator: The00Dustin

HP

Postby gregvr » 14 Jun 2005, 21:06

gregvr
Hang-around

Postby isaacs » 14 Jun 2005, 23:47

Quick search at HP just comes up with technology partners. Fingerworks is part way down.
http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/abouthp/access ... hpatp.html
Isaac.S
isaacs
Regular

Re: HP

Postby ken gray » 15 Jun 2005, 13:36

gregvr wrote:Wonder if this is related?

http://www.hpl.hp.com/techreports/2005/HPL-2005-56.html

interesting find!

i've seen the hp conection brought up in another thread somewhere and i've always thought that it was going to be Apple rather than hp (cuz no body can nda like Apple unless it's IBM). but here's why they would.

replace that mouse thing on the keyboard with the same size gesture pad!
people are already used to it anyway.
ken gray
Site Admin

Postby nomaded » 15 Jun 2005, 20:56

A few things I would like to point out:

-> Before the official demise of the company, fingerworks mentioned that one of their partners had a supply of MacNTouches that they wanted to unload. I can't find where I read this, but I got the impression that this was an HP/Compaq project.

-> One "problem" that sticks out for me at http://www.hpl.hp.com/techreports/2005/HPL-2005-56.html is that it mentions "stylus sensitive keypad". It could just be one of those terms used to describe the functionality. Or it could be something completely different, using touchscreen technology instead of inductive technology like the TouchStreams.

Just some thoughts to reflect upon...
@nomaded

TouchStream Mini - February 26, 2002 - Sold
TouchStream Stealth - March 18, 2002 - Windows 7 Ultimate (home)
TouchStream MacNTouch (white) - July 23, 2003 - Retired
TouchStream LP - March 31, 2004 - In storage
TouchStream MacNTouch (silver) - December 1, 2004 - In storage
Stenovations Digitouch (dvorak) - 2007 - Windows 7 Ultimate (work)
Stenovations Digitouch (dvorak) - 2007 - In storage
nomaded
Smarty Pants

Postby JerryKnight » 16 Jun 2005, 00:00

Touchscreens can be capacitive like the Touchstream. In fact, some of the old promo material for Touchstream says that it could be incorporated with display technologies...
JerryKnight
Hang-around

Postby isaacs » 21 Jun 2005, 19:16

I talked to the fellow that used to represent fingerworks to HP. He said he knew the folks at HP really well and they would not have bought the fingerworks technology. He stated if they had wanted to do that they would have bought it a long time ago. He also informed me that the fingerworks company burnt pretty much all their bridges while going down. They undersold retailers at the end and didn't give enough notice about stop in production. He doubted they would have any luck starting again since they kind of have a lot of people mad at them.
Haven't been able to get ahold of the CEO as of yet.
Isaac.S
isaacs
Regular

Postby Peter70 » 22 Jun 2005, 00:51

But WHAT actually happened? Was there not enough business? Inadequate advertising? Financial Mismanagement? OR were they just bought up and then let go of everything? It's still a mystery. If HP didn't buy the company, what other companies are there that are huge and produce both hardware and software? (wasn't that the rumour?) Apple....
Peter70
Familiar

Random speculations..

Postby staygood » 24 Jun 2005, 09:41

I imagine that if Apple bought them, there'd be a large user population at Apple. Anyone here work at Apple? Can you say whether you've seen them around the Apple campus?

// killing time.. missed the boat on this one.. :?
staygood
Familiar

Postby mboeing » 02 Aug 2005, 15:35

To promote the Apple rumor, Apple just introduced a multi-button mouse using "touch-sensitive technology" for the buttons. Have a look at Apple's web site.

And with touch-sensitive technology concealed under the seamless top shell, you get the programability of a four-button mouse in a single-button design.

Oh well, you don't need FingerWorks technology to do that.

Best regards,
/Markus.
mboeing
Hang-around

Return to News about FingerWorks