I'm Baaaaack.

Moderator: The00Dustin

I'm Baaaaack.

Postby Rqyteqto » 29 Oct 2014, 20:16

Hi Folks,

After a long lapse and many adventures, I'm back. Hopefully for good.

Still have three TouchStreams and one iGesture. Not using them currently, mostly due to space limitations,but hope to change that in the near future. And get back into programming them with both AutoCAD and Sketchup commands. If anyone has some ideas on this I'd be interested.
Invent the Future
Rqyteqto
Grizzled Veteran

Re: I'm Baaaaack.

Postby The00Dustin » 30 Oct 2014, 11:03

Wow, where did that 8 years go? Welcome back. Unfortunately, most of the change since you left has been continuously decreasing activity. However, there is still the occasional post and some good information on at least attempting to get your devices re-programmed even though the software doesn't work on any of the latest and greatest OSes. As for ideas on AutoCAD and Sketchup commands, I don't use either software, so I can't really suggest anything particular, but I'm sure you are the best person to come up with the best configuration for your use.
The00Dustin
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Rqyteqto » 31 Oct 2014, 00:05

So the programming software does not work on, say Windows 7 or 8? If so, that's a bummer.
Though I think I remember something from a long while ago about programming the boards in an older OS and then they'd work just fine in the newer ones. I may well be wrong. Some of those adventures involved head trauma, either direct or otherwise.
Invent the Future
Rqyteqto
Grizzled Veteran

Postby The00Dustin » 31 Oct 2014, 10:47

Correct, they do not work natively in Win7 or newer. I haven't had my TSLP's in a long time, but IIRC, the old Java won't install, and the programming drivers aren't compatible. On the off chance that the programming drivers would work in a 32-bit environment, which I doubt, I was able to get the utilities running by launching them manually with a newer version of Java. Even if I'm wrong about the Java version part, there's a post somewhere on this forum that explains what I did. I think I found it convenient for checking my config (from a saved copy) and making changes that I could then apply elsewhere, but again, I could be remembering incorrectly. Regarding using them in a newer OS, that is correct, they work just fine, as they are just HID devices and don't require special drivers. In fact, I think I read that XWinder worked on Win7, but I feel like I tried and it wouldn't, so it may only work on 32-bit.
The00Dustin
Grizzled Veteran

Postby TorbenGB » 31 Oct 2014, 18:59

Rqyteqto wrote:So the programming software does not work on, say Windows 7 or 8?
Well, haha, the software works but what fails is Java's USB interface, so you can't deploy your configuration to the device, nor can you check the device status and surface sensors. Yeah, I know, same result... bummer indeed!

What works instead is to run WinXP in a virtual machine, on top of whatever OS you're running. I've seen in the relevant thread that someone made a license-free solution using a sufficiently old version of Knoppix Linux, but that version isn't available as far as I could manage to research. If we could create this, then we'd have something that we can legally publish on this site, which would be an immense boon to the (rapidly decreasing) community.

The00Dustin wrote:I think I read that XWinder worked on Win7, but I feel like I tried and it wouldn't, so it may only work on 32-bit.
I remember this too and I also seem to remember that we already learned that it's 32-bit only. Yes, our beloved "future" technology is getting old... It's really a shame that nothing comparable has come along in the meantime, and no thanks to Apple for hogging the patents.
TorbenGB - webmaster & forum admin
TorbenGB
Site Admin

Return to Members' introductions