Hello From Los Angeles!

Moderator: The00Dustin

Hello From Los Angeles!

Postby upperwestsidr » 11 Feb 2014, 01:43

Greetings Everyone.

My name is Ron and I've had a Touchstream LP keyboard since just before the company went out of business.

I have always loved the device and it's flexibility between Mac and PC platforms.

Presently I'm having an intermittent problem with the USB cable because it's pinched right where it enters the keyboard.

I'm handy with a soldering iron, but I can't figure out how to pop the tabs connecting the keyboard surface from the bottom and am hesitant to damage the keyboard.

I can see that there's a plastic piece covering the USB connection on the bottom of the keyboard after peeling back the rubber, but can't figure out how to remove it.

I'm also interested in finding out if anyone has come up with a Fingerworks control panel that's compatible with Mavericks.

This technology is still way ahead of the present Apple technology from a gesture and mapping standpoint IMHO and am excited about discussing it with all of you.

Thanks so much for having me as a member.

Best,

Ron
upperwestsidr

Re: Hello From Los Angeles!

Postby TorbenGB » 13 Feb 2014, 15:43

Hi Ron - and welcome!
The point in the cable that you mention is known to be a weak point, but as you already figured out, the fix is fairly uncomplicated: pop it open and re-solder the cable. The biggest hurdle is opening the case. There are a number of locking tabs along all four sides, and it's very difficult to open the case without damaging at least some of them -- or so I'm told; I have not attempted this myself but I have read several posts about this. Try searching this site to find related posts. I can help you if you want, but don't have time for it right now.

As for the configuration software, that's another known weak point. It won't work with Maverick. The thing is that even the newest release of the software requires an old Java version because things have changed too much in newer versions. And this old Java version predates the operating systems we have today. You need Windows XP or something equally old -- or at least a virtual machine running an old OS. I'm running a new OS but use a virtual machine to run WinXP at the same time. Due to licencing/piracy, I can't offer a copy of this for download from this site, but it proves that the workaround really works.

I agree that FW tech is *still* several years ahead of anything Apple offers. Apple's "magic mousepad" seems to have tanked - I haven't heard a word about it since it launched. I don't care about that, but I do care that the existing products are simply ignored. That's not nice toward all those customers who made FW what it was, but then again, this is exactly how Apple functions so I'm not surprised. Just sad. At least they haven't forced us to take down this site, and I'm happy about that!!
TorbenGB - webmaster & forum admin
TorbenGB
Site Admin

Postby jmadison » 14 Feb 2014, 23:57

Oh Torben, I never thought of that before. How awful if Apple would try to take down this website. But, I guess I really don't see why they would.

I just keep hoping that someday they'll get back into this business. It's funny explaining to new co-workers about this Qwerty-Mapped-to-Dvorak multi-touch keyboard that I have on my desk. So far ahead of it's time.... so far...

Welcome, Ron!
Touchstream LP
jmadison
Smarty Pants

Postby TorbenGB » 19 Feb 2014, 12:32

@jmadison, I used to have a TSLP on my desk at work but the cleaning ladies are so careless that I come back to a rather disrupted desk in the morning. I don't want to risk any damage to this unit, so I'd rather have it as a spare than have it damaged by others. I have a TLSP at home with a Danish layout, flat on the desk without the support stand because that saves precious space.
TorbenGB - webmaster & forum admin
TorbenGB
Site Admin

Return to Members' introductions