PowerMac G4 FingerWorks Machine

Moderator: The00Dustin

og_ts_user
Familiar

PowerMac G4 FingerWorks Machine

Post by og_ts_user »

I'm just dropping back by to say that after giving up on the idea that I could ever emulate a software stack allowing me to configure my iGesturePad, I have purchased a 2002 PowerMac G4 specifically for the purpose of running the software! When I get it running I'll let you all know. The first thing I put on it was... Lemmings!

If anyone would be willing to sell a full sized Touchstream, that would be wonderful, I'd use it.
og_ts_user
Familiar

Re: PowerMac G4 FingerWorks Machine

Post by og_ts_user »

Huh I thought the FingerWorks software also ran under OS9 which is why I was looking for a Mac from the tail end of the Classic era. The device works under OS9 and 10.0. The configuration software can't "see" the device under 10.1 or 10.1.1. With the OS bumped to 10.1.5 the device can be "seen" and the Features panel of the configuration software works but the Gestures panel doesn't work. The Read Me document says the software requires 10.2 which I didn't even realize, so upgrading the OS a little more is tomorrow's task.

Does anyone know what the last compatible OS version is?
TorbenGB
Site Admin

Post by TorbenGB »

Hi!
I vaguely recall that the core issue is that the FingerWorks configuration software requires a particular Java version, and that Java version is not supported on modern systems. So the trick is, as you are doing, to use a sufficiently old operating system that supports that old Java version.

That leaves two questions:
1) What is that Java version I keep mentioning? I don't recall, but I will do some searching in the support threads.
2) What Mac OS version supports that old Java version? As soon as we have an answer to (1) then we can find an answer to this, too.

Finally, I'm going to move this thread to "Support Central > Other troubleshooting" because it doesn't belong to "Member's Introductions".
TorbenGB - webmaster & forum admin
TorbenGB
Site Admin

Post by TorbenGB »

As for item 2), it looks like this post has some hints:
The real problem is that the Multitouch Utilities was written with a specific version of Java in mind. At this point, that version of Java is no longer supported by Windows 7 (and OS X 10.6 and later). Specifically, the problem is the Java USB driver from what I remember when this problem initially came up a few years ago. Your best bet is to get XP or 2000 working in VirtualBox.
Sounds like any OSX version prior to 10.6 should work?

This other post says it won't work with Maverick, whatever version number that means. Also, at least on Windows it has to be the 32-bit OS version; the 64-bit Java version (on 64-bit OS) won't work. Not sure about 32/64 bit stuff on Mac though.

The original driver CD contains Mac software without Java; I'm getting the impression there is no Mac package that includes Java. That driver CD also says Requires Mac OS X 10.2 or later The Java version should be 1.4/1.5/1.6 as far as I can tell -- this answers item (1) above.

Have you seen this page in the web archive? If you're not intimidated by the command line, that could work for you.
og_ts_user
Familiar

Post by og_ts_user »

I answered this question. I was able to launch the Utility software under 10.1 somehow, but the gesture editor didn't work (so, really it didn't do much). Under 10.2.0 it actually refused to launch, complaining that Java was 1.3 and it needed 1.4. I updated OS X to 10.2.1, 10.2.2, 10.2.3, 10.2.5 trying to see if one of those updates would notch over the technology threshold and run the Utility. They didn't so I found the Java 1.4 installer and that did it! I plugged in this old iGesturePad and it showed right up! It helpfully updated the firmware, never having been done ever.

FanTAStic this is what I wanted from this machine.

You know, the setupfw153_withjava.bin and _nojava.bin files both fail to decompress for me under OS X 10.2.5. I'm using the version from the setupfw160 installer. We might want to offer the Java 1.4 installer as a download file.
TorbenGB
Site Admin

Post by TorbenGB »

Very glad to hear of your success!!! Now you can go crazy and customize your device like it was meant to. Yay!

Interesting that those two bin files failed. Where did you take them from? Do you have an original CD or was it a download?
If you can point me to the Java 1.4 for Mac then I will include it in the downloads section.