[Not] To Buy? and the price of comfort

Buy and sell stuff here.

Moderator: The00Dustin

[Not] To Buy? and the price of comfort

Postby jono » 13 Jun 2005, 16:32

What are everyone's thoughts, based partly on Wayne's response, as to whether to buy from the ebay market, or wait to see the technology in /some/ form again? The other thing to consider is the cost of comfort -- if I could win an auction up to $500 I would probably go ahead and do it -- at the very least, even if there was another product, I think there will always be a market for the LPs (in case I wanted to get rid of it again). Or am I wrong?

My keyboard had been stolen a year ago after I convinced all my friends to get the keyboards -- so now they're still cruising with comfort and I'm in the dust. I don't know whether to splurge and satiate my need for the LP, or whether to wait ... for something.

I think a lot of us are asking ourselves this very question.
jono
Familiar

Postby onelin » 14 Jun 2005, 04:12

I'm in the same boat. I keep questioning myself. Having not used an LP, before, I'm unsure exactly how much I'll like the zero-force that I crave. The gesturing, I know I'll love...but it's a tough call.

I'm curious if it will slow my typing down a lot.
onelin
Hang-around

Postby ken gray » 14 Jun 2005, 13:14

Yes, it will slow down your typing (I think the theoretical limit is about 90 wpm). But if you're not secritarial kind of speed you should be able to get it back. But with gestures, you will see the kind of ground-level increase in productivity that is simply imposible with 99% of all other keyboards (ie not having to move back and forth to a mouse all day!).
ken gray
Site Admin

I found one!

Postby jono » 14 Jun 2005, 14:29

I guess four hours of scouring google and clicking on and emailing link on the internet with `Fingerworks' paid off... Ergonetics had _one_ burgundy Touchstream LS until five minutes ago when I paid for it :D

We have 1 in stock out of box never used but does not have any paperwork. It’s just be sitting on a shelf as a visible demo.

It's hard to believe how much money I have spent on Touchstreams in the last few years... but it's always been worth it :!:
jono
Familiar

Re: I found one!

Postby Max » 14 Jun 2005, 15:05

jono wrote:I guess four hours of scouring google and clicking on and emailing link on the internet with `Fingerworks' paid off... Ergonetics had _one_ burgundy Touchstream LS until five minutes ago when I paid for it :D

We have 1 in stock out of box never used but does not have any paperwork. It’s just be sitting on a shelf as a visible demo.

It's hard to believe how much money I have spent on Touchstreams in the last few years... but it's always been worth it :!:

Congratulations! I guess your avatar has found that buried treasure now!

I should hopefully have a backup for my patched up DVORAK coming soon (from NGIT), but like somenoe else's it's a QWERTZ model. Not ideal but better than nothing - might even teach me not to glance at the keybaord so much.

Max
Max
Regular

Re: I found one!

Postby jono » 14 Jun 2005, 15:18

Max wrote:I should hopefully have a backup for my patched up DVORAK coming soon (from NGIT), but like somenoe else's it's a QWERTZ model. Not ideal but better than nothing - might even teach me not to glance at the keybaord so much.

When I was teaching myself DVORAK, it was imperative that I used a QWERTY -- that way the keys were totally useless ;)

I always looked at my touchstream as a kind of security device -- I don't even need to lock my computer when I have it attached -- I leave it in DVORAK, different layout, spaceage gesturing... total security. Now if it will just look boring too so that it won't be stolen again :P
jono
Familiar

Postby onelin » 15 Jun 2005, 00:10

90wpm I could live with, not to say I'd be able to achieve that on a touchstream. I took some 2 minute typing tests last night and got 123wpm. Burst-speed is plenty high (lot higher than that), so as a programmer who doesn't have to type paragraphs at a time it is a very significant drop, no doubt. I'd be happy for most general-use if I could maintain 60wpm, but might end up a little disappointed if burst speed caps there.

Gestures are the thing I'm most interested in. It's amazing how much browsing with Opera improved productivity, so I can only imagine gesturing keys and cut/paste actions as well as mouse movements.
onelin
Hang-around

To buy Touchstream LP or not

Postby barbara » 15 Jun 2005, 02:33

I am a new owner of an iGesture pad - great product. I primarily use my a mouse (or now iGetsure) for my computer work.

I had not thought about getting a Touchsteam LP but with Fingerworks closing down and with all the talk about buying the *last* Touchstreams by die-hard fans, I am now wondering whether I should take the opportunity of buying the last one from an Australian re-seller (I am in Aus). It is priced at AUD 500, equivalent to about USD 380. The higher Australian price reflects shipping costs from the US.

Since I have never used one and am not a really heavy keyboard user, I am really unsure if it will be a waste of money. Any thoughts on this?
barbara
Familiar

Postby jono » 15 Jun 2005, 02:43

That is an amazing price even if it is used... considering how much they go for on ebay. Don't get it because it's a one-of-a-kind, but if the gestures sound useful for you, or you have RSI, or just want to be kind to your body -- then it's a godsend. Be aware that it's is a huge learning curve, you have to work at it for at least a month before it feels natural -- but oh is it worth it afterwards!
jono
Familiar

Touchstream LP

Postby barbara » 15 Jun 2005, 03:01

This is brand new *in the box* from an Australian re-seller.

I am leaning towards purchasing this - will it make my new iGesture obsolete?
barbara
Familiar

Postby jono » 15 Jun 2005, 03:29

Yeah, it's way more than an iGesture :D
jono
Familiar

Why is Dvorak TS so much more than Qwerty?

Postby Peter70 » 17 Jun 2005, 20:12

I'm just curious why the dvorak Touchstreams seem to be selling for so much more than the qwerty ones on ebay? Were there fewer of them?
Peter70
Familiar

Postby daniel1113 » 17 Jun 2005, 20:45

Yes, I believe there are fewer Dvoraks.

It would be interesting to know how many of each product FingerWorks actually produced. How rare are FingerWorks products now?
Daniel M. Carrico
www.danielcarrico.com
daniel1113[at]comcast[dot]net
daniel1113
Familiar

Return to Marketplace