2 new Silver QWERTY Fingerworks LP Keyboards

Buy and sell stuff here.

Moderator: The00Dustin

2 new Silver QWERTY Fingerworks LP Keyboards

Postby micwil » 05 Jun 2005, 23:53

We have over 50 people in our waiting list for these last 2 unopened brand new from the factory units. These were from our last shipment from Fingerworks before we were advised that there would be no further shipments. To be fair (and to ensure the people who really want a new unit will have the opportunity to have one), we are going to sell off these last 2 units to the 2 highest bids we receive by July 31st, or whenever we hit our 'buyout bid'.

We had been saving our units for our Canadian customers, but since we have had a couple customers buy and then resell the units on ebay for more, we decided to offer them up to the community. We invested a siginficant amount of money and resources into raising awareness of Fingerworks and their product line here in Canada, and I can assure you we are not pleased with the abandonment of this innovative product. I have a complete set of units (IGesture Pad, IGesture NumPad, I Gesture Mini, TouchStream LP) which will be kept in our museum of abandoned technologies (in our office), but the other 2 LPs are going to whoever wants them the most.

I should advise that the only method of payments we will accept will be international bank wire or money order in advance.

These are SILVER QWERTY TOUCHSTREAM LP Keyboards by FingerWorks.
These are brand new units which have never been sold before and are from Fingerworks' final production run.

Please email sales@ergocanada.com for more information on the bidding process.
Michael Craggs
ErgoCanada.com
micwil
Hang-around

Postby TorbenGB » 06 Jun 2005, 06:59

If you are going to make an auction out of it, then please use Ebay. At least that's a common method and everybody can see the process and the bids. How else will we know that you're not hoaxing us?

While I sense that your business is honest, I'm not in favor of your method here. This is clearly a commercial forum posting, not a community posting, and to me it looks like a combination of a simple advertisement and a stunt to get the most money out of the last remaining FW products at the expense of us, the users/customers. I find that rather dishonest.

At the moment, there is no ruleset that would allow me to remove this post (but I could remove it anyway). This makes me think that we should really have a forum policy that could ban this kind of posts. Users, what do you think?
TorbenGB
Site Admin

Postby bradheintz » 06 Jun 2005, 13:07

Agreed. If this guy wants to auction off keyboards, he can do it on eBay and post a link here like everyone else. (Not that he's got any chance of getting my money at this point.) As for site policy, I'd concur with the idea that spam should be banned, starting with this post.

My $.02,
- B
bradheintz
Familiar

Response

Postby micwil » 06 Jun 2005, 19:26

I simply want to be as fair about it as I can. We have been overwhelmed with phone calls and emails from people who desperately want this keyboard. I have even had people fly in to physically come and pick them up from our location when we were only selling to Canadian customers to ensure they could get one.

We are a business. We don't use Ebay. I wanted to get the word out so that people who really needed this to work were able to access the product. We were holding them for our Canadian customers until it came to light that we had some customers who were purchasing the product from us and reselling it on Ebay.

If you want to remove the post, go ahead. I am just trying to stem the flow of incessant calls from all over the world looking for LPs, and this was the fairest method we could come up with.
Michael Craggs
ErgoCanada.com
micwil
Hang-around

ErgoCanada is legit

Postby synemitchell » 06 Jun 2005, 20:11

I don't mind the ErgoCanada post. They're a legit company. I recently purchased an LP through them (with the help of a Canadian friend...Sorry for the perfidy, Mr. Craggs, but I was desperate.)

I think it's considerate of Mr. Craggs to go to the trouble to inform the FingerFans community of an auction of the last two brand-new LPs in North America (perhaps the world.)

I only wish his company had made the auction decision earlier, while it was still possible for me to get a silver dvorak. :(

I was one of the throngs of people calling and asking about availability to non-Canadian customers, and Mr. Craggs was unfailingly polite and generous with his time.

As for selling the items auction-style, I think that only fair in a free-market society. It's no more price-gouging than selling the items on ebay.

And I wouldn't consider his post spam, seeing how he's only posted twice, with very timely/relevant info in a topic titled "marketplace."

So please, cut Mr. Craggs some slack. He's a good guy, trying to do the fair thing, hampered by (a) Fingerworks pulling the plug on his supply, (b) a liscencing agreement with the now-defunct Fingerworks that they could only sell the LPs to Canadians and (c) hordes of rabid Fingerworks fans (myself included) houding him for the last remaining stock.
synemitchell
Hang-around

Postby TorbenGB » 07 Jun 2005, 10:34

Thanks for the feedback, all. Michael, I am not going to remove this post because there is no grounds for it; we have no rules against such posts and, as Syne correctly points out, this is the Marketplace forum. I also empathize with Ergocanada about their situation in a frenzied market. I was not aware they were restricted by license from selling outside Canada. My initial reaction was on two aspects;
1) gouging money from a hard-pressed market with lots of demand and minimal supply,
2) seeming to propose a secret bidding system.
I have not asked for details about the mentioned bidding process, so you could say I was trigger-happy. I'm still concerned about this, but only because I would like the customers treated fairly. It seems there exists a lot of goodwill to the benefit of Ergocanada and Michael Craggs, and I certainly do not want to disrupt that for no reason at all. Besides being the admin of this forum, I'm just a regular guy in the world who is sad to see FW go away.
Perhaps I should just step back and be silent. I wish for customers and resellers alike that they get good arrangements for the last remaining products out there.
TorbenGB - webmaster & forum admin
TorbenGB
Site Admin

Return to Marketplace