Anyone have an LP or ST QWERTY for sale?

Buy and sell stuff here.

Moderator: The00Dustin

Anyone have an LP or ST QWERTY for sale?

Postby optimist1125 » 08 Aug 2006, 21:50

I am a writer with carpal tunnel.
Would consider trying DVORAK as well.

--Linda
--Linda
optimist1125
Regular

Correction... LP or ST for sale?

Postby optimist1125 » 08 Aug 2006, 22:48

I'd prefer to purchase an LP, but would settle for an ST...
--Linda
optimist1125
Regular

Postby ivanw » 09 Aug 2006, 01:25

You have been heard! ...not yet by one who could get you what you are looking for though....

In order to be informed as soon as an opportunity is signaled here, you should check the Watch this topic for replies link at the bottom of the topic Current FingerWorks items on eBay.

If you do so, you will receive a personal message from the forum engine as soon as someone adds a new post to this dedicated topic.

You may be lucky enough to witness a nice gesture from an owner who could make an entry here a short time before igniting the greedy eBay launch.
ivanw
Zealot

Postby Jamison » 22 Sep 2006, 19:27

Hi Ivan,

I am selling mine on Ebay. Check out this forum topic:
forum/viewtopic.php?t=399

or go straight to ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Fingerworks-TouchSt ... dZViewItem

The auction ends 9/29/2006.

Jamison
Jamison

Postby RAFH » 23 Sep 2006, 01:44

Its been up for half a day now and only 1 bid for $10. I am amazed. Either the bottom has fallen out of the FW market or everyone is waiting to the last minute.

Despite my admitted hoarding of these boards and what it will cost me for my wife's consent, I'll gladly pay $300, perhaps more (depends on what my wife will want in return). So if you don't get anything better, give me a PM.

I certainly wouldn't want it to go to a home where it is not respected and cherished as it should be. A good hardwood box, photo case grade foam and satin lining.
Invent the Future
RAFH
Enthusiast

Postby Alienswede » 27 Sep 2006, 02:39

I've just posted my beloved TouchStream LP up for sale here. Please give it a good home!
Alienswede
Hang-around

Postby Cerin » 01 Oct 2006, 02:05

Why is everyone suddenly selling their supposedly *beloved* Touchstreams? There wasn't anything on Ebay for months, and now there's 4 in the same week.
Cerin
Familiar

Postby ivanw » 01 Oct 2006, 11:52

I bet you don't really look for an answer here, do you :roll:, You see, God failed, in fact, :twisted: made us all. :wink: Some more of those stories about love* and money**

* faith
** stomach, ...
ivanw
Zealot

Postby RAFH » 02 Oct 2006, 04:19

Excuse me, Twisted Evil is my twin cousin and he did not, in fact, create people. He would be mortified by the suggestion he was responsible for such a flawed product.
Invent the Future
RAFH
Enthusiast

Postby Cerin » 02 Oct 2006, 14:23

Am I missing something, or have you people lost your minds?
Cerin
Familiar

Postby ivanw » 02 Oct 2006, 15:42

You did not miss anything! Your diagnostic is correct Doc! Money driven activity always gives a spin to my seditious self. This is what happens when there is no traffic enough in the forums, something like auto-spamming in order to fill the void :)
ivanw
Zealot

Postby RAFH » 03 Oct 2006, 07:29

I didn't lose it, I intentionally mislaid it so I wouldn't be able to lose it. Its a control thang.

Anyway, these boards have been through a lot. From being an impossible dream to an utterly obscure but amazing technology that was too good to be true to an award winning showstopper to becoming a cult item and then an orphan dropped like a hot potato by its erstwhile genius parents who apparently got themselves kidnapped by the great white computer company and then became a major speculative investment and now is heading toward bcoming a lost loser (though the prices are still pretty impressive, at least a lot more than I'd pay and a lot more than the original sales price, which was somewhat obscene to begin with).

Its pretty amazing, couldn't have come up with this as fiction and if someone had, it'd been blown off as completely absurd. Fortunately real life is absurd. Ain't it fun? Entertaining even.

Personally, I am hoping the market price will go way down so I can buy every last one of them, insulating me from my morbidly irrational fear of having to use a normal keyboard and mouse.
Invent the Future
RAFH
Enthusiast

Postby TorbenGB » 03 Oct 2006, 08:08

You have a point there. The user base has begun to distill itself. There will probably always be some die-hards, as is always the case with once-cool products (there are still people using the original Apple Newton and the Psion Series 3 PDAs). But eventually, "most people" will look to current alternatives.

So perhaps we're just seeing the first users leave this club and passing on the boards to others that need them more.
TorbenGB
Site Admin

Next gens... Fingerworks...

Postby optimist1125 » 24 Oct 2006, 04:29

So, has anyone heard of the next generation of zero-force, or of anything like -- or better than -- Fingerworks yet?

If it weren't for the eBay gouging, I'd collect several more Touchstreams and iGestures, since I've been working in IT with CTS for 20 years, and you can't always use Dragon for knowledge work when it isn't text-centric.
--Linda
optimist1125
Regular

Postby ivanw » 24 Oct 2006, 10:02

The only thing you may expect - if you are the optimist kind - is that Apple could be currently hiding the technology for a while only to come up with something that will change the face of the earth... This is how things goes from the marketing point of view...

Be superman or hide yourself away while you learn how to defeat the one currently in charge in your realm...

As we live in a world of winners and as silence is the best way to never be wrong, the hiding thing fits very well with success=profit=survival. At least, this is how money makers explain the universe to their kids :wink:

Sorry, I've just looked at an investigation on micro-credit yesterday and it feels like I was diving in earth ass-hole. But I'm sure the planet will look nicer by tomorrow... :roll:

I am the optimist kind, this is why I look for any buzz related to the technology and I am sure I am not the only one around here. :wink:

The only way to make something happen using the technology is when a financial guru will mislead an organization like Apple into it. You can't be willing to create something like lisa willingly. You can only do it by mistake. It is only ten years later that you understand how much you learned by trusting your guts... yeah, I'm getting older every day :cry:
ivanw
Zealot

Over $600.00...

Postby optimist1125 » 25 Oct 2006, 03:21

Please allow me to vent.

Just deferred on that eBay auction...
Obscene at $630.00 @ close... I could only go to $600, and that was a stretch.

I'm not a "collector"; rather, I am a writer, technology reviewer, and IT person who needs this type of input technology in order to make a continued living while working with RSI... You can't do all your work with speech technology...

So maybe we should turn this forum toward how to assemble venture capital and engineering to find the next gen, outside of Apple? Doesn't have to be the same, but rather focus on zero touch... and maybe a better widget? Oh, and wireless, while we're at it! I don't think that stuff can be patented... or infringed upon.

Am I wrong?
--Linda
optimist1125
Regular

Postby ivanw » 25 Oct 2006, 10:10

I have an observation about any attempt to make this happen: Looking at how FW suddenly vanished from the surface, I am amazed about how nobody bothered to tell us why this happened. I am certain that if it were only a matter of profitability, we would have heard something about it.

As a consequence, this silence is the evidence for something different. Now, what does it mean? What would nowadays have people shut up so efficiently? Yes we all have some ideas about that! I am optimist like you are and I would love to be surprised by some unexpected outcome following the end of FW activity.

As to make an attempt to take over the supposedly failing technology, do you think one can resuscitate something that has been thoroughly obliterated like that?

:wink: I am ready to start dreaming along as it may initiate a buzz that could as well wake up some of those silenced guys. Let us talk about a kind of afterlife for their technology.

Nearly all the many keyboards are so conservative that the evolution is still ahead. Only take the two major insanity that are the staggered layout and how we assign the more keys to our weakest fingers. You see, this is still Middle-age rambling for the keyboards, enlightenment is still to come. :?
ivanw
Zealot

Postby ken gray » 25 Oct 2006, 13:30

well, unlike many in these forums i'm from "The States" and in my particular area we have a saying (although the subject (or object) may be different the sentiment is the same), "You can have my FW keyboard when you pry my cold, dead fingers from around it." Now, that's not to say i wouldn't sell it in a heartbeat to buy a better MAC version but then that really just trading a revolver for a semi-automatic now isn't it? :lol:
ken gray
Site Admin

Middle Ages for Keyboards...

Postby optimist1125 » 25 Oct 2006, 17:14

I have to agree with you, Ivan, regarding where there is yet to go with keyboards. Considering most of the computing world uses no better than an ancient, enhanced typewriter keyboard 100+ years later, you're right; it'll probably be a while.

Has anyone played with the laser keyboard that projects an image on a surface? Sells for approx. $180 US. While I don't believe that it has mouse capabilities, at least it's zero force, and relatively surface-independent. Do any of you think it's worth the time?

Also, has anyone used a Gold-Touch on more than a trial basis? I like the idea of not subjecting the hands so much to gravity [hands can be at varying degrees, up to perpendicular to the suface], but I found the pressure required to depress a key to still be too much.

It does seem there's more than just a financial incentive in the Fingerworks disappearance. I wonder if the costs of retro-fitting/correcting electrical and sensor problems just proved to be too much. The Touchstream cable might have been the perpetrator; maybe they didn't have the R&D $$ to retool??? That type of work is time-consuming and expensive.
--Linda
optimist1125
Regular

Postby RAFH » 25 Oct 2006, 19:58

Personally, I think the whole field of alternative inputs is dying. Used to be I'd be able to find dozens upon dozens of unique alternatives, now its down to maybe a dozen and most of those are just 'ergo' keyboards. I see humanity being adapted to a norm. I don't see as much interest in trying different things. Just use the keyboard you are given and shut up. That's the corporate way.

The one I really liked had tendrils that wrapped around your fingers and sensed what your fingers were doing, that was wild. Combine that with gestures and you could really have something.

Really about the only old time oddity still out there is the Twiddler. They are still plunking away. The problem with that is its clunky. Just not sexy. Yeah, its one handed which is a big improvement right off (freeing the other hand for turning pages, sketching, pushing other buttons or manipulating the personal assistant (organic or hardware as you prefer). But its still clunky and it still has a wire.

Ideally it should be something that is essentially not there, like a glove, but is always there. That's what I liked about the wired fingers idea. The tendrils didn't extend to the fingertips so you still had tactile sense.

As for the laser keyboard, yeah, a member tried that for a bit just recently and felt its time hadn't yet come. You should be able to search for the post.

I just see the will to create something other than the standard keyboard evaporating, slowly but surely.
"You will conform, Mr. Blue,
We've got our eyes on you!"
Invent the Future
RAFH
Enthusiast

Postby ivanw » 25 Oct 2006, 20:32

About Fingerworks disappearance, the single thing we know for sure is that someone had a strategic interest at concealing the reason, whatever that could be. That's about all we can believe to be true, everything else i s just rumours...

You know, something like those stories about qwerty layout. Very few are based on facts, the most part is urban legend. This is what I could get from more than one year of re-typing everything I could find about the subject. And I found a lot!

:wink: One interesting note out of what I've learned is that you can throw any layout to your muscular memory, as soon as your finger are left alone, they can accommodate any fancy combination they have dealt with after heavy training! After more than 300 hours and about 5 million keystrokes, my former hunt&peck fingers can even do staggered MS4000-qwerty and survive... :QED:

Now, you should have a look at Cerin's review of two of those laser keyboard.
ivanw
Zealot

Return to Marketplace