Silver TouchStream LP Dvorak an eBay

Buy and sell stuff here.

Moderator: The00Dustin

Silver TouchStream LP Dvorak an eBay

Postby The00Dustin » 15 May 2012, 15:25

I have listed my silver TouchStream LP with dvorak layout on eBay.

I guess this means I'm bailing. I didn't like having a different setup at work than at home.
The00Dustin
Grizzled Veteran

Re: Silver TouchStream LP Dvorak an eBay

Postby TorbenGB » 16 May 2012, 15:57

Bailing? As in "going back to Qwerty", or as in "leaving zero-force typing behind"?
Dvorak is a weird hurdle to get over. I've tried a few times, but it's just not in my hands.
TorbenGB - webmaster & forum admin
TorbenGB
Site Admin

Postby The00Dustin » 16 May 2012, 16:28

Bailing as in "leaving zero-force typing behind" or (as you put it in my previous thread) "abandoning ship". I thought I posted somewhere that I switched to a TypeMatrix 2020 (where I use Dvorak) with a Contour RollerMouse Free 2 at work (I have now done the same at home), but maybe I didn't. Either way, the muscle memory hurdle is interesting. When I used zero-force Dvorak, it was fairly easy to switch to Qwerty on standard keyboards. Now I find myself confusedly typing dvorak on them at least twice as often.
The00Dustin
Grizzled Veteran

Postby jmadison » 17 May 2012, 14:05

The muscle memory thing is funny. I wrote about this in a different post, but I find it easy to switch between Dvorak and Qwerty... as long as the keyboard "feels" right. On my TS, it's Dvorak, no problem. On a "standard" keyboard, it's Qwerty. I don't even have to think about it. It just happens. Where I get messed up is when I type on a very flat keyboard with little key contour or key travel, like a laptop keyboard. As soon as I start typing on a keyboard like that (usually a borrowed computer), I immediately try typing in Dvorak and have to consciously force myself into typing Qwerty. Weird how that works.
Touchstream LP
jmadison
Smarty Pants

Postby TorbenGB » 22 May 2012, 16:01

Hi again - I see you've relisted the TS. These things get rarer and rarer, and apparently their time has passed because the recent prices we're seeing are a lot less than what they used to trade for in their heyday. Sad, very sad. I'm using my Danish TS at home rarely, and the US Qwerty at work, not at all. I should probably sell that one at least.

So this is how it starts, eh? When even some of our oldest registered users is moving on.

It's great that you found a modern alternative that works well for you!
TorbenGB - webmaster & forum admin
TorbenGB
Site Admin

Postby The00Dustin » 22 May 2012, 16:29

TorbenGB wrote:It's great that you found a modern alternative that works well for you!
I wouldn't say it works well for me, I would say it is tolerable. I wish I could keep the TS going with full benefits on newer OSes and not worry about its ultimate demise, but as I can't, I will relist until it sells.
The00Dustin
Grizzled Veteran

Postby petercooperjr » 23 May 2012, 14:27

(Deleted effective duplicate. I hadn't realized that the forum had moderation before posts showed up.)
Last edited by petercooperjr on 25 May 2012, 12:15, edited 1 time in total.
petercooperjr
Familiar

Postby petercooperjr » 23 May 2012, 21:14

I'm keeping my eye on it. I have a burgundy qwerty and a dvorak now (one for work and one for home), and the silver is so nice-looking, and I think I want a spare… But I can't really justify $625 for a spare for myself, though I hope it's worth at least that.

But I'll take it for $300, if the market ends up that low. I hope you don't need to take me up on that, though.
petercooperjr
Familiar

Postby The00Dustin » 24 May 2012, 13:37

I hope I don't need to take you up on that, too. I sold a burgundy one in not quite as good of shape on eBay a month ago for about the same amount (listed at $599, but not free shipping), of course it only got one bid, but then I sold a non-working burgundy one for $200 through the forum after that.
The00Dustin
Grizzled Veteran

Postby nomaded » 30 May 2012, 05:49

I definitely understand the desire to move on. Back when i fully ensconced in Fingerworks keyboards (a Stealth at home, an LP at work, and a MacNTouch in my TiBook/AlBook), it was awesome. It started going down hill when I got my MacBook Pro and didn't want to dremel out the aluminum keyboard area just so I could attempt to put my MacNTouch into it. When I got another job, I didn't bring my LP with me. And this past spring, I found my Stealth at home was acting a bit on the flaky side, though it seems to be working again.

These days at work, I'm using a Truly Ergonomic Computer Keyboard (I like its layout/key feel better than the TypeMatrix) and a MacNTouch/DigiTouch mostly as a large trackpad with gestures and some typing ability. The DigiTouch frame is too high up and wide to be used comfortably as a full time keyboard. At home, I find myself using my MacBook Air as keyboard/trackpad for my Windows via Synergy more often than using the Stealth.

Oh, I still try to type Dvorak everywhere, no matter the keyboard, but there are times I do need to type QWERTY/Sholes just as part of my job as a unix sysadmin.
@nomaded

TouchStream Mini - February 26, 2002 - Sold
TouchStream Stealth - March 18, 2002 - Windows 7 Ultimate (home)
TouchStream MacNTouch (white) - July 23, 2003 - Retired
TouchStream LP - March 31, 2004 - In storage
TouchStream MacNTouch (silver) - December 1, 2004 - In storage
Stenovations Digitouch (dvorak) - 2007 - Windows 7 Ultimate (work)
Stenovations Digitouch (dvorak) - 2007 - In storage
nomaded
Smarty Pants

Postby The00Dustin » 30 May 2012, 14:24

nomaded wrote:These days at work, I'm using a Truly Ergonomic Computer Keyboard (I like its layout/key feel better than the TypeMatrix).
I'm not thrilled with the TypeMatrix and don't wantto move on; I just don't want to keep trying to find replacements for work, where I believe a unit was killed while I was gone. I can't see using a Truly Ergonomic, though, as the rollermouse is probably what's preventing me from having more pain, and the Truly Ergonomic has the "built-in wrist support" that gets in the way of using anything other than a separate mouse / pad to the side. The silver TSLP didn't sell, eventually I will re-list it, possibly not until July, though. In the meantime, if someone wants it for $500 outside of eBay with free shipping to the continental US (or plus shipping outside of the US), fire me off a PM and I'll get back with you when I can.
The00Dustin
Grizzled Veteran

Postby nomaded » 30 May 2012, 17:48

The00Dustin wrote:I just don't want to keep trying to find replacements for work, where I believe a unit was killed while I was gone.

That really sucks about the dead keyboard. It's a shame that you can't keep personal items around, unmolested, while you aren't there.

The00Dustin wrote:I can't see using a Truly Ergonomic, though, as the rollermouse is probably what's preventing me from having more pain, and the Truly Ergonomic has the "built-in wrist support" that gets in the way of using anything other than a separate mouse / pad to the side.

The wrist rest can be removed from the TECK. http://xahlee.org/kbd/i3/truly_ergonomic_keyboard_2.jpg I haven't found a need to do so myself.
@nomaded

TouchStream Mini - February 26, 2002 - Sold
TouchStream Stealth - March 18, 2002 - Windows 7 Ultimate (home)
TouchStream MacNTouch (white) - July 23, 2003 - Retired
TouchStream LP - March 31, 2004 - In storage
TouchStream MacNTouch (silver) - December 1, 2004 - In storage
Stenovations Digitouch (dvorak) - 2007 - Windows 7 Ultimate (work)
Stenovations Digitouch (dvorak) - 2007 - In storage
nomaded
Smarty Pants

Postby The00Dustin » 30 May 2012, 20:20

nomaded wrote:The wrist rest can be removed from the TECK. http://xahlee.org/kbd/i3/truly_ergonomic_keyboard_2.jpg I haven't found a need to do so myself.
I don't know if I knew that or not, but that doesn't solve the real problem, which is the lack of a square front end to mate the rollermouse with. IOW, in order to minimize movement for mousing, a custom solution would need to be devised due to the custom form factor of that keyboard (which doesn't include mousing like the fingerworks products did). This is also why I chose TypeMatrix over Maltron, the optional rollerball would
not have been friendly and the thickness of the maltron products would have also prevented use of the rollermouse.
The00Dustin
Grizzled Veteran

Postby The00Dustin » 01 Jun 2012, 21:38

In case anyone needs to know, the Silver TSLP was sold for 90BTC and won't be relisted.
The00Dustin
Grizzled Veteran

Return to Marketplace