For Sale: FingerWorks TouchStream LP

Buy and sell stuff here.

Moderator: The00Dustin

For Sale: FingerWorks TouchStream LP

Postby nrrinard » 19 Nov 2011, 19:31

Hello, I am the only owner of an original, fully functional FingerWorks TouchStream LP keyboard. I have posted it for sale on my local craigslist. I am accepting any offers and I will ship it anywhere in the world. I am signed up to receive one of the new Truly Ergonomic keyboards, and it is finally time to allow this TouchSteam to see use in another loving home, in the care of another input enthusiast.

Please see the Craigslist post for details.

http://madison.craigslist.org/sys/2710884559.html

Nicholas
nrrinard
Hang-around

Re: For Sale: FingerWorks TouchStream LP

Postby TorbenGB » 20 Nov 2011, 17:04

I have never heard of "Truly Ergonomic keyboards" before, but their homepage shows an impressive keyboard. That is certainly worth considering! It doesn't do any gestures of course, but at least it's finally a sensible "regular" keyboard.

http://www.trulyergonomic.com/

Image Comes in models with or without palm rest.
TorbenGB - webmaster & forum admin
TorbenGB
Site Admin

Postby ivanw » 21 Nov 2011, 12:18

Hi there, you've just ruined a good part of my work day, peeping at this new geek bait 8)

And as my MS ergo has nothing written on most of it's keys, according to them I have to give them some of my money.

Thanks for the heads-up.
ivanw
Zealot

Postby dongadoy » 21 Nov 2011, 15:32

I love the look of this TrulyErgonomic keyboard. The tactile feedback, narrow width, vertically aligned keys, middle keys, and fewer pinky keys are all great steps forward. The frequently used Alt keys are too tough to reach; the frequently used cursor and paging keys require moving away from home row; and I would like to see more thumb keys.

It doesn't come close to the Touchstream with its gestures. With gestures and Autohotkey, I have all keys and all mousing very close to home row. I only miss the tactile feedback of real keys. Oh, and I worry that I cannot replace the Touchstream when it dies.
Touchstream LP since 1 Oct 2003
I was snow.surfer in the old world.
dongadoy
Regular

Postby nrrinard » 03 Dec 2011, 18:46

Greetings fingerfans. My keyboard is still for sale. I have received interest, but less than I had expected. I still want to see this keyboard in the hands of someone who will appreciate it, and I will patiently wait for that person.
nrrinard
Hang-around

Postby nrrinard » 06 Dec 2011, 23:55

I found the right person, a member of this forum, and sold the keyboard for $500. It blows my mind that these keyboards are worth more than they were brand new, now a decade later. Why the heck hasn't anyone else produced a similar product? or why didn't Apple just keep selling these keyboards under the FingerWorks brand? I mean, really, obviously they were profitable, so what is the business case against reaping those profits?

In any case, the new owner is another programmer who is excited for this keyboard and will use it, which makes me happy. I have a similar enthusiasm for my still-not-arrived Truly Ergonomic.
nrrinard
Hang-around

Postby nrrinard » 24 Dec 2011, 02:12

I have one final follow-up for this thread, which is that I received my Truly Ergonomic and love it and recommend it and have put up a brief review of it online.

http://nicholas.rinard.us/2011/12/truly-ergonomic-keyboard.html
nrrinard
Hang-around

Postby ivanw » 25 Dec 2011, 15:35

Thanks for sharing this FW aware point of view about this device. Your arguments are much more meaningful than those from non enlightened average reviewer.

And I'm pretty sure that, at least for a programmer/geek empowered mindset, some amount of AutoHotkey spice can turn this device into a good alternative ergo-prosthesis.

So here is my fingerfan-AutoHotkey contribution that may inspire the most dedicated/stubborn customization junkies of my kind.

This is only a selfish oriented solution and won't fit any other individual needs but mine... but some coding segments may help... some of those apparently simple functions were a pain in the ass to get to a working stage...

http://ivanw.pagesperso-orange.fr/ARCHI ... Hotkey.rar
ivanw
Zealot

Postby nrrinard » 29 Dec 2011, 00:06

I have yet another final follow-up, which is that I created a website, very much modeled after this very website, for owners and users of the Truly Ergonomic keyboard:

http://trulyergonomicfans.logicmasons.com/

I created that because I couldn't find a TE-specific forum, and I always valued having this website as a resource when I had a Fingerworks. If the TE keyboard sells enough to create a community of dedicated users, then perhaps my website will be that resource for those users. Furthermore, in the journey of creating my forum, I discovered a website which I think many of you might already have bookmarked:

http://geekhack.org/

GeekHack is a website for keyboard lovers. They have a great forum full of people who really, really love keyboards.

Good luck y'all
nrrinard
Hang-around

Postby nomaded » 30 Dec 2011, 19:32

I am interested in getting a TE keyboard, but at this time, they still have not opened up orders to "regular" folk. Of course, the programmability aspect of the keyboard is what interests me the most, but that functionality is not yet available, it seems. (I'd want to have a Dvorak layout on it, without needing change the layout on the OS.)
@nomaded

TouchStream Mini - February 26, 2002 - Sold
TouchStream Stealth - March 18, 2002 - Windows 7 Ultimate (home)
TouchStream MacNTouch (white) - July 23, 2003 - Retired
TouchStream LP - March 31, 2004 - In storage
TouchStream MacNTouch (silver) - December 1, 2004 - In storage
Stenovations Digitouch (dvorak) - 2007 - Windows 7 Ultimate (work)
Stenovations Digitouch (dvorak) - 2007 - In storage
nomaded
Smarty Pants

Return to Marketplace