Touchstream keyboard for sale

Buy and sell stuff here.

Moderator: The00Dustin

Re: Touchstream keyboard for sale

Postby ShawnMcCool » 29 Mar 2011, 18:43

I bid but didn't win the auction. Those snipers are too good for me. Let me know if the buyer falls through.
ShawnMcCool
Familiar

Postby TorbenGB » 29 Mar 2011, 19:42

I was going to link to that one too, but my eBay search also revealed that when there are devices for sale, they're not as expensive as they were for a while (up to $1500!). Link: recently ended FingerWorks auctions.

I strongly suggest you set up a search and then subscribe to it so that eBay sends you an email whenever there's a FingerWorks device for sale. I do that, just to keep an eye on the market.

I also suggest you start reading about sniping software. It's very effective and is not actually against the rules, though of course it's not "nice" to use against other bidders. Google for JBidWatcher; it's one of the most commonly used ones, and not full of crapware. When you do snipe, be sure to set a generous bidding limit to increase your chances of success (up to the absolute maximum you'd want to pay for a device), and set the sniping time to around ten seconds before the auction ends - less if you're daring and if it would be okay to be too late and not win this auction (if there are other auctions coming up). I repeat: many people use this, and many people (same/others) have a bad conscience about it. It's your choice.
TorbenGB - webmaster & forum admin
TorbenGB
Site Admin

Postby dongadoy » 15 Apr 2011, 03:42

I never heard of sniping. Now all those lost auctions make sense. I suspected some automated software was the culprit. In the last seconds of an auction, dozens of bids by one or two people appear, and one wins just at the end and only a few dollars more than my max bid. Definitely left a bad taste in my mouth, partly because I thought it was the seller fishing for my maximum bid, which I now know is called "shilling". Now I just wait until a few minutes before the end of an auction before bidding - if the highest bid is not too high, and if I remember and am available, and if I don't mess up the time zones as I frequently do.
Touchstream LP since 1 Oct 2003
I was snow.surfer in the old world.
dongadoy
Regular

Postby ShawnMcCool » 15 Apr 2011, 04:26

I always just set an alarm on my phone for like 10 minutes prior.
ShawnMcCool
Familiar

Postby TorbenGB » 15 Apr 2011, 20:54

@dongadoy, sniping is certainly one of those practises that are very upsetting to those who don't use it, and those who do use it feel they're not doing anything wrong since it's not explicitly forbidden. The best defense as far as I can tell is to join them -- that's what I did. I read about it and decided to try it for an auction where it didn't matter if I didn't win, it was good practise for later more important auctions.

The MOST important thing when bidding on auctions is to NEVER bid early. It only raises the final price, and it shows others that you're interested, thereby increasing the risk that they're going to snipe against you instead of just bid manually which would be to your advantage.
TorbenGB
Site Admin

Postby nomaded » 15 Apr 2011, 21:09

Most regular eBay users use software for sniping. I find it annoying, but it's the way the game is played, and you need to play by their rules.
@nomaded

TouchStream Mini - February 26, 2002 - Sold
TouchStream Stealth - March 18, 2002 - Windows 7 Ultimate (home)
TouchStream MacNTouch (white) - July 23, 2003 - Retired
TouchStream LP - March 31, 2004 - In storage
TouchStream MacNTouch (silver) - December 1, 2004 - In storage
Stenovations Digitouch (dvorak) - 2007 - Windows 7 Ultimate (work)
Stenovations Digitouch (dvorak) - 2007 - In storage
nomaded
Smarty Pants

Postby TorbenGB » 20 Apr 2011, 10:43

I just remembered that I wrote a blog article about succesful eBay auctions last year. It might be helpful to some readers:
http://torben.g-b.dk/2010/08/how-to-win-on-ebay.html
TorbenGB
Site Admin

Return to Marketplace