Burgandy QWERTY LP

Buy and sell stuff here.

Moderator: The00Dustin

Burgandy QWERTY LP

Postby sbhil » 15 Sep 2005, 03:57

I have a burgandy QWERTY TouchStream LP (US Layout) that is in excellent condition that I used at work. Apparently, it is a security risk (I don't really comprehend this, but see the official letter below) and I am not allowed to use it anymore. Since I don't have much time to use my computer at home, I no longer have a need for this keyboard, and want to pass it on to someone who can put it to good use.

What price should I be asking for this keyboard? I see the thread below saying they were going for $700 on E-Bay. Were these exceptional cases, or is this the going average? I'm not a big fan of E-Bay and I would prefer not to put it up there, so once I've had some feedback on the price I will accept (reasonable) offers from members of this forum before resorting to E-Bay.

The official letter so everyone can have a laugh:
Your corporate computer (System # *****) has been identified as having Fingerworks software installed. This software is not approved for use at ******* and regardless of how it came to be installed on your desktop, it is to be removed.

This software must be removed from your computer immediately. Additionally, you must remove the non-standard keyboard attached to your system.

If you have elevated access rights, as either an application developer or a technical prime, you must complete the uninstall yourself.

As a result of the uninstall, one or more remnant files associated with this software may still remain on your system. To fully wipe your system of this software following the uninstall, you are advised to open Windows Explorer and 'Search' all files and folders for the software name. When an associated file is located, you can delete it. (For example, these may appear with the software name and an extension such as '.msi' or 'setup.exe')

If you do not have elevated rights, you will not be able to complete the uninstall yourself. You must call your appropriate support group to arrange to have it uninstalled.

*** will continue to monitor the removal of this software and further, more direct action will be taken if it is not removed. The security risk that this software poses serves as a reminder that only lab tested and certified software should be installed on your computer.
sbhil
Hang-around

Postby trogdorix » 15 Sep 2005, 07:08

Yes, they really have been going for 500-700 USD.

...and if you wouldnt mind, i would love to buy it.
trogdorix
Hang-around

Postby TorbenGB » 15 Sep 2005, 13:06

The best thing you can do, in my opinionm, is to put it on eBay for $5 and sit back while you watch the bidders fight over it. It'l be sure to race up towards hundreds of $ -- perhaps not in the first days, but in the last few hours before bidding ends.
TorbenGB - webmaster & forum admin
TorbenGB
Site Admin

Re: Burgandy QWERTY LP

Postby ivanw » 15 Sep 2005, 13:10

sbhil wrote:The official letter so everyone can have a laugh:
*** will continue to monitor the removal of this software and further, more direct action will be taken if it is not removed. The security risk that this software poses serves as a reminder that only lab tested and certified software should be installed on your computer.
I am glad you still can laugh after this. Really scary - a taste of George Orwell's 1984. Big brother cares for your well being, whether you are aware you are in need or not...
Do you intend to keep up working for these guys? Either they are sick or you are working for the army.
In both case, don't get rid of the keyboard, get rid of them instead :wink:

Another point of sight yields something interesting though, in our times where complete mess seems the way to go, some are still convinced they can settle some sort of absolute order...
:shock: Yes, really scary
ivanw
Zealot

Postby TorbenGB » 15 Sep 2005, 13:19

ivanw wrote:Do you intend to keep up working for these guys? Either they are sick or you are working for the army.

Ivan, many companies have a policy about only using approved equipment. It's not insane, it's not the army. Let it be. There are valid and reasonable reasons to enforce these kind of policies, though admittedly this notice leaves no room for mutual agreement -- it's a downright order. If I were him, I would comply immediately and afterwards try to get special permission -- at least for the keyboard, not the software since the software can simply be used at home. There's no need to install any of the software at work.

Suggesting to leave the company is inappropriate, in my opinion.
TorbenGB
Site Admin

Postby ivanw » 15 Sep 2005, 13:46

TorbenGB wrote:It's not insane, it's not the army.

:oops:

Suggesting to leave the company is inappropriate, in my opinion.

I was just kidding :wink:

...for both these quotes too :twisted:
ivanw
Zealot

Postby sbhil » 15 Sep 2005, 15:24

trogdorix wrote:Yes, they really have been going for 500-700 USD.
Thank you for confirming the price.

ivanw wrote:I'm glad you still can laugh at this. ... Do you intend to keep up working for these guys? Either they are sick or you are working for the army. In both case, don't get rid of the keyboard, get rid of them instead
Everyone else in my office has had a good laugh at my "security risk" keyboard, why shouldn't I? Actually, aside from their draconian IT department with its outdated equipment, and a need to prove it's authority, the company is an excellent company to work for.

TorbenGB wrote:Suggesting to leave the company is inappropriate, in my opinion.
ivanw did have a winking smiley after the comment, and I understood it was meant as a joke, don't be too hard on him.
sbhil
Hang-around

Postby sbhil » 15 Sep 2005, 15:26

I had planned to find the going price before starting to accept any offers, but since a few eager people have already made offers and expressed their interest in the keyboard, I am going to try to do this in the fairest way possible:

Anyone who is interested in purchasing the keyboard can Private Message me an offer price. I will only accept one offer per person so there will be no bidding wars driving the price up unnecessarily. I will accept offers until midnight, Friday September 16th (tomorrow) to give the people who only visit the board infrequently a chance to bid as well, however, in the event there is a tie for the winning bid, the earlier bid will be chosen as the winner. On Saturday, I will contact the winning bidder to confirm the amount and get shipping details. If the winner decides to back out I will contact people down the line until someone takes the keyboard.

The winning bidder will pay the exact shipping costs for shipping the keyboard, and I will pay for shipping insurance to ensure the keyboard is covered in transit. I will accept payment via email money transfer, PayPal, or mailed money order, but if you are sending a money order, I will wait for it to arrive before shipping the keyboard.

If you any questions, or I missed something, PM me or or post the question and I will answer it as soon as possible. Good luck!
sbhil
Hang-around

Postby TorbenGB » 15 Sep 2005, 17:08

sbhil wrote:ivanw did have a winking smiley after the comment ... don't be too hard on him.
Then I take it back -- I didn't catch the irony. It's easily missed in this medium.
TorbenGB
Site Admin

Postby Rqyteqto » 15 Sep 2005, 17:40

sbhil - sorry for your predicament, personally, I'd reply I needed it for an RSI injury and intimate I might have to bring the ADA into the fray. But I also tend towards irrascibility and non-compliance/conformance whenever possible which is one of the reasons I have been self-unemployed for the last 25 years.

Meanwhile, I do want to commend and thank you for making sure this board goes to someone who needs it and will cherrish it (I assume all forum members are very serious 'FingerWorkers') at a fair and not too exhorbitant price. I've no qualms with you getting what its worth, but EBay does tend to bring out the worst in foolishness.

Again, sorry for your loss.
Invent the Future
Rqyteqto
Grizzled Veteran

Postby sbhil » 15 Sep 2005, 18:20

If I were him, I would comply immediately and afterwards try to get special permission -- at least for the keyboard,

Rqyteqto wrote:personally, I'd reply I needed it for an RSI injury
I tried both of these routes already. The original removal order was verbal, I had already been using the keyboard for a while without anyone realizing it, ond then one day someone happened to be walking by and saw it. After I got the warning, I got temporary management approval to keep using it and try for special permission because of RSI problems. I almost thought I was making headway and they were going to let me keep it, and then I got an email saying see the company nurse for an exam and reccomendation for a company approved ergonomic setup, followed shortly by the email above. I wish I had another course of action to follow through with, but my managers (who all think the whole thing is crazy as well) only have so much say, and corporate policy carries a lot of weight around here.

Thanks for the offers of sympathy.
sbhil
Hang-around

Wow.

Postby nomaded » 16 Sep 2005, 06:10

Wow.

I am sorry for your loss.

:cry:
@nomaded

TouchStream Mini - February 26, 2002 - Sold
TouchStream Stealth - March 18, 2002 - Windows 7 Ultimate (home)
TouchStream MacNTouch (white) - July 23, 2003 - Retired
TouchStream LP - March 31, 2004 - In storage
TouchStream MacNTouch (silver) - December 1, 2004 - In storage
Stenovations Digitouch (dvorak) - 2007 - Windows 7 Ultimate (work)
Stenovations Digitouch (dvorak) - 2007 - In storage
nomaded
Smarty Pants

Re: Wow.

Postby sbhil » 16 Sep 2005, 14:36

nomaded wrote:I am sorry for your loss.
Thanks. I said goodbye to my TouchStream last night, packing it up in preparation for shipping it off, and I'm already regretting it. I thought it might be easier to say a quick goodbay, but I think I should have drawn out my time with it right until the bitter end.

Right now I don't know what hurts more, giving up my LP or my fingers when I jam them into keys every time I go to mouse. :wink:
sbhil
Hang-around

Postby Rqyteqto » 16 Sep 2005, 16:57

sbhil, hope you keep active with the forum, who knows, maybe someday TS will be de riguer, so to speak. Or your employment circumstances may change. Or ... ... who knows.

One thing's for sure, you will know your TS will be appreciated and used wherever it ends up.
Invent the Future
Rqyteqto
Grizzled Veteran

Postby sbhil » 16 Sep 2005, 19:58

Rqyteqto wrote:sbhil, hope you keep active with the forum, who knows, maybe someday TS will be de riguer, so to speak. Or your employment circumstances may change. Or ... ... who knows.
I am definitely going to keep monitoring the forum, to find out what happens with the technology. My current line of thinking (hoping) is that at some point Apple will release a new Mac version of the keyboard, making it available as an option with their computers. Then, since Mac computers are part of the corporate standard, I will request an upgrade for my current PC to the new Mac, and hopefully be able to get the keyboard since it will be part of the computer. At least that's the plan for now. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
sbhil
Hang-around

Postby thenn » 16 Sep 2005, 21:04

Then your company will even pay for the "new apple keyboard," beacuse it is an approved ergonomic device. :wink:

Kinda like mine did with this silly rollermouse I have.
thenn
Smarty Pants

Postby sbhil » 17 Sep 2005, 15:25

Thank you to everyone who bid on the keyboard. I have sent a message to the winning bidder, and, given his permission, will post the approximate winning bid amount here when he replies.
sbhil
Hang-around

Postby sbhil » 19 Sep 2005, 14:38

I have received the OK from the winning bidder, to let everyone know that he bid a little over $850USD for the keyboard. Because the bid was higher than expected I am also covering the shipping costs for him.
sbhil
Hang-around

Postby Rqyteqto » 19 Sep 2005, 19:06

WHOAH!
Invent the Future
Rqyteqto
Grizzled Veteran

Postby sbhil » 19 Sep 2005, 20:18

Rqyteqto wrote:WHOAH!
Yes, much more than I expected. In the end to make sure he was getting his money's worth (even though getting one of these keyboards already qualifies for that), and because I know how bad it sucks to have to pay for something like this and then sit and wait for it, I sent the keyboard by 2 day Purolator, so he should have it by Wednesday.

In the end it brings the price of the keyboard down by about $75, but still alot of money. I hope he puts it to good use and gets many years of enjoyment out of it. As for me, all I can say is I miss it already and reaching for a mouse sucks!
sbhil
Hang-around

Return to Marketplace