Human Solution ethics

Buy and sell stuff here.

Moderator: The00Dustin

Human Solution ethics

Postby PD » 15 Jun 2005, 18:27

I bought an igesture from Humansolutions.com for $189. I accepted paying $20 more than what Fingerworks was selling them for since they are so scarce. Today I was at J&R in NYC and was looking at printers and on the shelf between two printers was an igesture box! It felt like destiny and I couldn't help buying it for $129 plus tax, thinking that I can send it as a return to humansolutions unopened and thus not have to pay a restocking fee. I was wrong. They charge 15% restocking apparently even on unopened items. Then I saw that they have new stock and have upped the price further to $199. Normally I'd probably just go with the restocking fee, but the thought of me sending them an unopened unit that was overpriced to begin with and them turning arond and selling it again and making another $10 is too much to swallow.

I understand that this is a question of supply and demand. However, any ethical/reputable business would keep the price at the recommended retail price and not jack it up or down depending on supply and demand. Obviously there's demand and almost no supply. But there's also serious disadvantages to buying fingerworks products now that the company has gone out of business and of course humansolutions doesn't mention that.

Say what you want, but this kind of price inflation disgusts me.

I think I might just keep the igesture unopened for future backup use or perhaps as a nice birthday present. Or I'll sell it on ebay in the future.
PD
Familiar

Postby The00Dustin » 15 Jun 2005, 18:38

I agree completely. They raised there prices sooner (and originally higher) than anyone else, and because of that, I probably won't ever buy anything from them if I can help it.
The00Dustin
Grizzled Veteran

Postby daniel1113 » 15 Jun 2005, 18:42

...then don't buy one from them.

Stores can price their inventory any way they choose. Of course, they have to deal with the consequences of their pricing practices, both good and bad. If they can sell them for $10 more, why should't they raise the price? Your complaint is unwarranted, IMO - especially when you consider the dwindling inventory of FingerWorks products.
Daniel M. Carrico
www.danielcarrico.com
daniel1113[at]comcast[dot]net
daniel1113
Familiar

Postby PD » 15 Jun 2005, 19:24

I think my complaint is completely warranted, though I agree that I don't have to buy from them. In fact I will never do it again. However, my question was one of business ethics and practices. This American obsession with the phrase "well, if you don't want to, nobody is forcing you" is a pathetic way of promoting and defending poor business practices.

They should inform their customers that the company has gone out of business and that it will be difficult to receive support for the product they are buying. Now, wouldn't that be a nice change?

That's my opinion.
PD
Familiar

Postby daniel1113 » 15 Jun 2005, 20:07

Nice? Sure.

But I can't think of a single retailer that has done that. You may be sick of hearing that phrase, but it's all too true and pretty much sums up our economic system. And, if I might say so, it's been working wonderfully ;)
Daniel M. Carrico
www.danielcarrico.com
daniel1113
Familiar

Postby PD » 15 Jun 2005, 20:27

Wonderfully? You mean the system that allows 40 million people to not have health insurance, the system where full time minimum wage means living under the poverty line, the system which systematically penalizes those from economically disadvantaged backgrounds (in terms of quality of schools, access and opportunity to higher education, for example) and where the myth of the american dream and 'pulling yourself up' continue to be an excuse for not doing anything about socio-economic inequality? Oh, I forgot: the myth of 'free choice' in a society dominated by a few conglomerates - just look at new coverage, or non-coverage. What REAL choice do most people have here?

Anyway, I was born in CA, grew up in northern Europe and am back now i NYC for a while. Not proud of it.

If Igesture prices at a humansolutions.com were the main problem, I would be celebrating for months.
PD
Familiar

Postby daniel1113 » 15 Jun 2005, 21:12

I should thank you for that response, since now I know why it is you feel the way you do.

It's obvious that you have a problem with the entire American system in general, so I am not going to even attempt to have a rational discussion with you about it.

Good luck to you.
Daniel M. Carrico
www.danielcarrico.com
daniel1113
Familiar

Postby PD » 15 Jun 2005, 22:11

Yes, I do have a problem with the system, but that does not preclude me from having a rational discussion about it. It's the same logic certain people use to discredit those who opposed the invasion of Iraq - if you oppose, you're unpatriotic and can not be reasoned with. How reasonable is that? I still believe that things go beyond black and white and that a questioning of the very underlying economic and social system is something positive.

Healthy discussion, questioning and critical thinking seem to be in short supply in this country right now.

But of course this is hardly an appropriate place to discuss issues like this. It's JUST a silly igesture! But please don't presume that being critical by definition entails being irrational.

my last two euros.

Cheers,
PD
Familiar

Postby The00Dustin » 16 Jun 2005, 00:01

While the price of the silver dvorak on E-Bay is amazing, it is being sold to a crowd who knows fingerworks has shut down and who knows that it is used. Also, it is being sold in a public auction where there is no deception about the price (The starting bid was on par with fingerworks msrp). That is the difference. The seller could be going on and on about how rare it is and how much money it is going to be worth and/or how great fingerworks is (as opposed to was), but he doesn't. These are the reasons no one has thrown any kind of fit about it , whereas people reacted in a much less accepting manner when micwil from ergocanada started this thread: http://fingerfans.dreamhosters.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=72. (i.e. they could potentially lie about current bids and you would have no way of knowing and only be able to bid more. However, I wouldn't have a problem with the human solution doing it at this point, what bothers me is that they started doing it so early on, and in a way, it was like they had insider info, and insider trading is looked down upon because someone is unfairly screwed.
The00Dustin
Grizzled Veteran

Postby daniel1113 » 16 Jun 2005, 04:43

Quite true. I was expecting to get $350-$500 for my LP (as can been seen by the starting bid price). I have no control over bidding on eBay, and anyone bidding knows what they are getting into.
Daniel M. Carrico
www.danielcarrico.com
daniel1113
Familiar

Return to Marketplace