Fingerworks Old Support Forums Archive Home  
Fingerworks Old Support Forums Archive Fingerworks Old Support Forums Archive > MultiTouch Utilities > MyGesture Editor > Launch Application?

Author
Thread   
Galeran

Launch Application?

Does anyone know of a good way to get a TouchStream launch an application (e.g., Widows Media Player or Calculator)) in response to a key/chord? There are defined keystrokes to replace most of what I'll be missing from my old Natural Keyboard Pro, but I can't figure out how to do this...

(Sorry for any remaining typos... first evening with this keyboard...)

Old Post 06-22-2004 09:28 AM
bradheintz
Geek Superhero

Last things first: The typos get better with time.

As far as your other issue: There are two steps. The first is to associate a hotkey with the applications you want to launch. You can do this directly through Windows (right-click on any shortcut and select "Properties"), or use one of the handy macro packages listed on the FingerWorks third party utilities page .

The second step is to go into the gesture editor and associate that hotkey with a gesture. The gesture map starts off pretty crowded, but you can clear out sections you don't think you'll use (for example, I repurposed the redundant left-hand cut/copy/paste gestures to house my Visual Studio gestures), or extend the more sparsely populated keymaps such as the PunctPad.

Once you've done that, save your new keyboard configuration, export it to your keyboard, and you're done.

Go to Fingerfans for a read-write forum!

Old Post 06-22-2004 04:28 PM
ken
Despot in Training

That's how I do it. I use Quick Macros http://www.quickmacros.com/

Old Post 06-22-2004 04:32 PM
Galeran

Thanks for the pointer to setting up the "Hot-key" in the shortcut preferences. While I'm sure the macro utilities do more, I'm glad I didn't have to plunk down $25 just to get this functionality.

By the way, I could not get hotkey functionality from a shortcut in the quick launch area of the taskbar (Windows XP Pro). Program menu shortcuts worked just fine, including the "pinned" shortcuts. (That's just a FYI for anyone coming to this thread in the future... not a request for help.)

Dave

Old Post 06-23-2004 06:03 AM
azon

how about volume control or mute

I'm also coming from a Micro$oft natural keyboard and miss having volume controls as well as play/pause buttons st hand. Any ideas in how to do this? (without macro programs)

Old Post 09-03-2004 03:48 AM
Galeran

Azon,

Volume up/down and mute are available as key codes. Set some event to a key stroke (or possibly key hold) and scroll to the bottom of the keystroke list to find them.

I've set the invisible keys next to F10/11/12 (available on the TouchStream) to these. You might be able to work out a good gesture set, too, perhaps.

The following media-related keystrokes are listed (I think they may be defined by Windows; I'm running XP SP2):

VolumeUp
VolumeDown
Base(sic)Boost
NextTrack
PreviousTrack
PlayPause
StopMedia
Eject
FastForward
Rewind
Record

The rest of the special buttons from MS keyboards show up, too: EmailReader, Web Search, Web Home, Web Back, Web Forward, Web Stop, Web Refresh, and Web bookmarks.

Old Post 09-03-2004 05:26 AM
azon

quote:
Originally posted by Galeran
Azon,

Volume up/down and mute are available as key codes. Set some

The following media-related keystrokes are listed (I think they may be defined by Windows; I'm running XP SP2):

excellent, I haven't worked with the editir hardly at all yet as I 'm a newbie user, just about 5 days or so. I must say, my typing skills are still terrible, and I IM a lot... let's just say my conversational skills are suffering . I Ialready know I can't go back to t he whole "moiuse thing" on a regulae basis, gestures are awesome for online research and newsreading. I'm also using XP SP2 so I assume I'll be able to access those same features. Thanks.

Old Post 09-03-2004 02:07 PM
JerryKnight
TS Zealot

Normally I would say that IM typing is a bad way to learn, but for zero-feedback typing, it would probably help a lot. On "normal" keyboards, IMing can cause you to develop bad habits all in the name of speed, but I can't think of how you could develop bad habits on the Touchstream and still maintain speed. In ZF typing, speed comes from good technique, so all you need to do is keep typing, and keep correcting typos until they happen less often.

I think the biggest tip the forums have collectively come up with is to keep everything consistent - your hands, wrists, arms, etc. If you keep changing these things, it will be much harder to "know" in muscle-memory where each key is.

Old Post 09-03-2004 07:40 PM
bradheintz
Geek Superhero

On the volume thing: I have global hotkeys set up for the volume up & down controls in Winamp, and have them set to the left thumb-ring-pinky clockwise and counterclockwise gestures - with the convenient bonus that it feels a bit like turning a volume knob up and down.

Go to Fingerfans for a read-write forum!

Old Post 09-03-2004 07:45 PM
JerryKnight
TS Zealot

I did the same, but with the all-five finger gesture, turning the sensitivity down so that it isn't accidentally activated during resting. Even more like turning a big volume knob.

Old Post 09-03-2004 08:22 PM
azon

all good suggestions, and I'd like to add that I finally did imy first update to customize my gestures and key assignments, and it worked. I finally am getting the hang of it.

Old Post 09-04-2004 01:03 AM
All times were GMT.