Fingerworks Old Support Forums Archive Home  
Fingerworks Old Support Forums Archive Fingerworks Old Support Forums Archive > General Usage > Mousing and Gesturing > Copy gesture feedback

Author
Thread   
Conceptor

Copy gesture feedback

Hi all,

I've been using the touchstream for 6 months now and one of the major issues I get with it is the lack of screen feedback with certain keys and gestures.

Let me expain: when you type the letter "e", the actual letter appears on the screen if you typed on the touchstream correctly. If not, another letter appears, which lets you know that you mistaped it. This constitutes screen feedback. Certain gestures and keys don't give you screen feedback. The numlock, capslock and scrolllock are examples. For these keys, you can find certain programs on the net (like FirstCap 3.2) that display in the taskbar the actual key state, so I don't really experience problems with them anymore. But there are other gestures that don't give you screen feedback at all. I'm thinking mainly about the copy gesture. I never know whether the copy actually triggered or not and I often miss that gesture out.

Could there be an small application developed by Fingerworks that would tackle these problems by giving screen feedback for non-screenfeedback gestures and keypresses? It could change the mousepointer momentarily or display in the taskbar various icons to inform the user that the gesture or keypress succeeded. Or the like.

Thanks for your feedback,

C.

Old Post 04-27-2004 03:47 PM
pme

Re: Copy gesture feedback

quote:
Originally posted by Conceptor
It could change the mousepointer momentarily or display in the taskbar various icons to inform the user that the gesture or keypress succeeded.

The keyboard doesn't know whether the gesture "succeeded". How can it? It's just a keyboard.

More seriously, it just sends the corresponding key combinations (say, Control-C on a Windows system). What effect that has on the other end depends on the system, the app receiving the keystrokes, etc. Probably it will be a copy operation, but you never know, and there's certainly no feedback returned to the keyboard.

What you want, maybe, is an app that notices when the clipboard content has changed, and beeps/waves/etc. Or a replacement for the system clipboard with more features, like feedback; I've heard of such but haven't seen them myself.

Is this what you mean?

Old Post 04-27-2004 04:09 PM
bradheintz
Geek Superhero

Quick note: I just purchased Clever Keyboard Indicator:

http://www.clevercomponents.com/pro...nind/winind.asp

It's configurable to give you visual and/or auditory feedback on any key or key combination you like.

CKI and a bunch of other third-party goodies in the same vein are listed on the Fingerworks site:

http://www.fingerworks.com/third_drivers.html

I find that having something to help with the issue of mis-pressed keys saves me a lot of frustration - try the demo version of Clever Keyboard Indicator, see if it works for you.

OK,
- B

Go to Fingerfans for a read-write forum!

Old Post 04-27-2004 04:27 PM
fingerworks
Administrator

We are moving in the direction of having more on-screen or auditory gesture feedback available.

In the meantime, you may want a multi-clipboard utility:

http://www.scriptsoftware.com/copypaste/

http://www.clipbox.cn.gs/

http://www.cheqsoft.com/clipboard.html

Old Post 04-27-2004 06:34 PM
Conceptor

pme: The only way to know if I did a typo or missed out a gesture is if there is some indication of it on the screen because the keyboard itself doesn't give any feedback. For the copy gesture, there is no indication that the gesture was done, whether correctly or incorrectly.

bradheintz : Clever Keyboard Indicator is exactly what I needed. Thanks! I will most probably buy it.

fingerworks: glad to ear that you're going in that direction. I probably won't use a multi-clipboard utility because I don't want to end up using many utilities for each gesture or key that don't give me feedback. The Clever Keyboard Indicator suggested by bradheintz seem to constitute a consolidated way to give visual feedback for the keyboard. It would be great thought if I didn't have to buy such 3rd party software. Something very much like it should come bundled with the touchstream if most of your customers experience frustration with this aspect of the product.

That being said, the TS is by far the greatest piece of hardware I ever bought for my computer.

Thanks,
C.

Last edited by Conceptor on 04-28-2004 at 08:46 PM

Old Post 04-27-2004 08:00 PM
pme

quote:
Originally posted by Conceptor
pme: The only way to know if I did a typo or missed out a gesture is if there is some indication of it on the screen because the keyboard itself doesn't give any feedback. For the copy gesture, there is no indication that the gesture was done, whether correctly or incorrectly.

Right. Note that the same is true of every other keyboard as well. :-)

Old Post 04-28-2004 04:38 AM
Conceptor

I assumed that I am in a word editor of some kind.

Old Post 04-28-2004 03:29 PM
JerryKnight
TS Zealot

Feedback?

We've had mouse-pointer feedback for a while.. since 1.3.1/1.31, in the internal functions. It jumps the mouse in the vertical direction, horizontal, all the diagonals, etc. I'm surprised FW didn't mention this.

Just go to the gesture in question and tack on a feedback function to the event list. (I currently do that for my keyboard layout quick-switch buttons.) Then the keyboard will "tell" you if the gesture you intended succeeded, ie. it registered and the keyboard sent the appropriate keystrokes. If this is all you want, then these feedback functions would be perfect.

I think, though, that the functions cause the mouse cursor to jump 2 or 3 times. It would be better for such a quick gesture to have it jump once - just quick enough for us to notice that it fired. Maybe that can be a parameter later on?

Old Post 04-29-2004 08:55 AM
-jeffB
Reader of FAQs

I'm looking forward to feedback like this as well. Some (OS X) applications provide visual feedback when you issue a Copy command, but not all do. It seems like I have a harder time issuing Copy (thumb-ring-click) than Cut or Paste (which require that I move the fingers).

Old Post 04-29-2004 02:57 PM
nomaded
Touchpad Fanatic

Re: Feedback?

quote:
Originally posted by JerryKnight
We've had mouse-pointer feedback for a while.. since 1.3.1/1.31, in the internal functions. It jumps the mouse in the vertical direction, horizontal, all the diagonals, etc. I'm surprised FW didn't mention this.

Just go to the gesture in question and tack on a feedback function to the event list. (I currently do that for my keyboard layout quick-switch buttons.) Then the keyboard will "tell" you if the gesture you intended succeeded, ie. it registered and the keyboard sent the appropriate keystrokes. If this is all you want, then these feedback functions would be perfect.

I think, though, that the functions cause the mouse cursor to jump 2 or 3 times. It would be better for such a quick gesture to have it jump once - just quick enough for us to notice that it fired. Maybe that can be a parameter later on?

Wow! This is pretty neat. I've already attached it to the copy gesture (just to try it out, since I don't typically have too many problems from trying to tap with my thumb and middle finger), and I've also attached it to the thumb+middle CCW twist for "escape".'

I totally agree that this would be better if the number of zig-zags was settable. Certainly with the Copy and Escape/Cancel gestures, a single zig-zag would work flow better than the current 2 or 3.

TouchStream LP - March 31, 2004 - Windows XP Professional SP1
TouchStream MacNTouch (silver) - December 1, 2004 - thanks dxtr!

Old Post 04-29-2004 06:18 PM
Tigger

Thanks for the suggestion. For some reason, I always have problems with the copy gesture. Now I know when I've done it correctly and won't have to dig back into my desktop to find the window I was trying to copy from.

Old Post 04-30-2004 12:27 PM
All times were GMT.